new to GMRS question on Baofeng GM-15 Pro

Guest Alphawolf962

Guest Alphawolf962

I bought a two-pack of the Baofeng GM-15 Pro GMRS Radio 8W NOAA Weather Receiver & Scan Radio long-range two-way radio handheld radios with USB-C Charger and the Abbree AR-771 longer antenna (via Amazon) I bought my GMRS license and am now curious what do I do to setup my radio to talk to others?

don'tI have it set to CH. 17 RPT. 8 and that is all I know how to do right now.  I don't have a programming cable yet it didn't come with one but when I try to call out I don't here any sound when pressing my PTT key  the screen lights up as I press it I say radio check and my callsign nothing any advise 

brand new to this and want to learn  thanks in advance I am also in LAs vegas area 

Hi.  Not sure if you ment LA and Las Vegas or just Las Vegas?   In either event both have many repeaters and many repeaters on the 15 on the way.  Grab the programming cable asap and what ever program works with that particular radio, chirp rt systems ect…

programming multiple repeaters by hand sucks on any radio   

you have 2 radios so practice using them on simplex (radio to radio).  Have you wife, husband, significant other, child, friend ect…. Stay at home and you drive around and do radio checks.  You may get 1-2 miles you may get 30miles.  Make notes of where your radios work well and how far away you are.   When you get the software, cable and a membership here we can help more.  If your radios are chirp or rt systems compatible I’ll send you a base file to get started with some open repeaters and some closed you’ll just have to ask for tones and permission. 

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here… but I’ll take a shot at some possible answers. Channel 17 is 462.600 and repeater 8 is 462.725 receive and 467.725 transmit so different frequencies won’t hear each other. If what you are saying is that when you call out on one radio and you don’t hear anything on the other when they are on the same channel like 17 you may be too close with your radios, try putting 50’ or more between them as they can desense each other. If you are on a repeater channel they won’t hear each other unless going through a repeater so you need to set the tones of the repeater to operate it. Lastly are you sure there are “others” to talk with? Give this video a watch it may answer your questions if I didn’t. 

My GM-15 Pros are supposed to be delivered today. Can't say much about this specific radio just yet. I'm pretty sure it isn't really 8W like the add says. But I'm sure it will do fine.

Welcome to GMRS. 👍

Edited by WRXB215
Added info.

The GM-15 Pro is the same radio as the Radioddity GM-30 and uses the same software (free to download). As far as communicating with other radios do not rely on Ch #..... rely on the frequency. Some of the bubble pack radios have different frequencies for each channel and while you think you are communicating on the right frequency you are on two different frequencies. If you are trying to communicate through a repeater make sure you have the correct tones (ctcss or dpl) best to contact the repeater owner directly if possible and not count on info posted online as it can be out of date. 

On 3/29/2024 at 3:03 AM, Guest Alphawolf962 said:

I bought a two-pack of the Baofeng GM-15 Pro GMRS Radio 8W NOAA Weather Receiver & Scan Radio long-range two-way radio handheld radios with USB-C Charger and the Abbree AR-771 longer antenna (via Amazon) I bought my GMRS license and am now curious what do I do to setup my radio to talk to others?

don'tI have it set to CH. 17 RPT. 8 and that is all I know how to do right now.  I don't have a programming cable yet it didn't come with one but when I try to call out I don't here any sound when pressing my PTT key  the screen lights up as I press it I say radio check and my callsign nothing any advise 

brand new to this and want to learn  thanks in advance I am also in LAs vegas area 

I have the same radios.  As someone recommended, forget the repeaters for now and just start talking via simplex, i.e. radio to radio.  Put both radios on the same channel and push the button.  These are dual-band radios so be sure the little arrow is pointing to the same channel on each radio.

I suggest that you watch some YouTube videos on GMRS radios to get an idea of the basic concepts.  From there, you can ask questions on this forum.  

Many of us have that same radio.  It’s not hard to program repeaters directly on the radio without having the cable and programming software.   

Lastly, don’t be worried about pressing the wrong buttons.  It can probably be fixed with a little help or investigation.   

I bought the same radios.  Programming is glitchy.   Here is what I tried.  First, I got the Radioddity Bluetooth dongle and used the Beta GM-30 software to program.  It’s slow…you can one channel and it’s not a spreadsheet.  It worked once or twice, but eventually I bricked the GM-15 pro’s using it. Returned to Amazon, and got another set.  This time I got a cable, and downloaded after $25, the RTS software for the GM-15 pro.  It’s pretty useless, and can’t set the DIY-channels that can be additional repeaters.  So I then got the 2.3 version of the software for the Radioddity GM-30.   I set every repeater I could in the DIY channels and all the local MURs and anything use I could find >channel 60 on the GM-15 Pro.  It wrote to both radio.  But they are now BRICKs again, I can’t read or write to them. However, I got a lot of stuff into it.   I could try the hard reset, but that DID NOT WORK on the first set.  So I guess I’m stuck with what’s in their brains.   Essentially they are disposable.  So my advise it to get the Radioddity GM-30 software for windows, read the GM-15 pro with it, fill up the shed with all info, and write, you may only get one shot at it.

21 hours ago, TRRP said:

So my advise it to get the Radioddity GM-30 software for windows, read the GM-15 pro with it

I just programmed my GM-15 Pros today.  I had the Baofeng usb cord.  I downloaded the GM-30 software from the Radiooddity website.  Using a win11 laptop I did not have any issues.   

I did check the firmware and saw that it was a later version than they had in the example at Radiooddity.  

My only complaint is that I couldn’t find the option to keep it in single display mode but that was an easy manual fix.  

With the software I was able to give each of the two radios a name so that I know which use which.  

On 4/9/2024 at 8:38 PM, WRDJ205 said:

I just programmed my GM-15 Pros today.  I had the Baofeng usb cord.  I downloaded the GM-30 software from the Radiooddity website.  Using a win11 laptop I did not have any issues.   

I did check the firmware and saw that it was a later version than they had in the example at Radiooddity.  

My only complaint is that I couldn’t find the option to keep it in single display mode but that was an easy manual fix.  

With the software I was able to give each of the two radios a name so that I know which use which.  

Where did you find the name field?  I just checked the software and ran dry.

Thanks for that tip: it works on the Baofeng UV-13Pro, which is the Ham Radio version of their UV-15 (and transmits on GMRS and MURS as well).

It shows I have V06.01.014 for that radio and no, the Radioddity CPS software for their GM-30 is not consistent with this radio (I have the Baofeng CPS software and now Chirp supports it) and I would not attempt to put Radioddity firmware into this radio either.

I recently purchased the same exact package. I bought the proper Baofeng programming cable, and downloaded the free Radioddity software for their GM-30. Worked perfectly, first time, no fuss or muss figuring out com ports or anything else. With radio off, plug in the programming cable to desktop and radio. Open the application (after installing the download), turn on the radio. The FIRST thing you should do is "Read from Radio", then save that file as your original factory setup, before making ANY changes.

This package came with all 22 of the FRS/GMRS shared channels pre-programmed, as well as 8 pre-programmed repeater (duplex) channels with NO tones, and also 24 "DIY" channels, where, in theory, you would actually just pre-set the tones for your preferred regular use. The TX/RX freqs shown for these DIY channels does not 100% match the lower channels designated freqs, not sure just why yet...