wouxon kg-xs20g transmit isuue

WRXX460

Question

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

What size power supply are you running and are you using a single power supply for the radio and amp? It sure sounds like you are overloading the power supply.

What power level do you have the KG-XS20G set at when using the amp? Most small amps require you to run the radio at around 5 watts or less, otherwise you overload the amp. And you really don't need an amp with the KG-XS20G. Even though it is rated at 20 watts, most will put out around 25 watts. 

A 30 watt amp will only put out a maximum of 30 watts. Again the extra 5-10 watts over what the KG-XS20G puts out isn't really worth it. You won't notice the difference.

My understanding is that it’s a 30 amp power supply, not a 30 watt amp. 

1 hour ago, WRXX460 said:

i have a wouxon kg-xs20g hook up to my 30 amp power supply but every time i transmit the radio cuts off and back on what could be the issue

It sounds like the voltage drops. Hook a voltmeter to the power terminal right at the radio if you can and watch what happens to the voltage when the radio transmits. 

If it is not a voltage drop, then possibly RF is getting back into the supply.    What antenna and feed line are you using, and how is the SWR?

Also, it there are fuses in line, make sure they are making good contact; pull them out and put them in a few times to be sure the contacts between the fuse and the wires is good.

What size power supply are you running and are you using a single power supply for the radio and amp? It sure sounds like you are overloading the power supply.

What power level do you have the KG-XS20G set at when using the amp? Most small amps require you to run the radio at around 5 watts or less, otherwise you overload the amp. And you really don't need an amp with the KG-XS20G. Even though it is rated at 20 watts, most will put out around 25 watts. 

Again the extra 5-10 watts over what the KG-XS20G puts out isn't really worth it. You won't notice the difference.