Chirp programing for Linked Repeaters

WSBR383

Question

Hi everybody, first post on the forums.  I understand setting up repeaters using the different transmit and/or receive specific tones and the +5 step.  But.... I am having a little trouble figuring out programming my radio for repeaters I currently use individually, but they also have a linked repeater code.  I will use the Payson repeater for example as it is an open repeater.

DIAMOND PT 575 : PAYSON, AZ, this is an open repeater

Has basic set-up settings which I understand as follows:

462.575 MHz
Frequency
82.5 Hz
Input Tone
No Tone
Output Tone

But, if you want "Link Access", you have to put the following in the radio:

USE DCS CODE 065N ON THE ENCODE SIDE OF YOUR RADIO ONLY FOR LINK ACCESS, CARRIER ON YOUR DECODE SIDE.

Question is on Chirp, which is what I use to program my radios, how do I set this up as a separate repeater for link access, as this repeater links others that I use?

This is how I currently have this repeater (non-link) set up on Chirp:

[462.575000/+5.000/82.5] see attached file

Screenshot 2024-04-10 084154.png

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

The Litchfield repeater should be using TONE, not CROSS. Create another entry for Payson using TONE with 065 in the DCS field.

Thank you!!  There is not a specific DCS field see photo of available options

Screenshot2024-04-10103440.thumb.png.08269d0c7d8114757f06bd19c48f06c0.png

Edited by WSBR383

24 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

DCS/DTCS same thing. 👍

image.thumb.png.6132bc63685f4289f2ebae71157e2b66.png

Thank you I figured that, but wasn't sure.  So they say USE DCS CODE 065N ON THE ENCODE SIDE OF YOUR RADIO ONLY FOR LINK ACCESS,

CARRIER ON YOUR DECODE SIDE

So basically, on receive there is no code, the carrier is the 462.575 frequency correct.  Just like the regular Payson non-linked repeater, only a transmit code which is DCS 065 for the linked repeater and 82.5 tone for the non-linked repeater.  I also have a Retevis radio that I program in the truck and it is so much more simple, it just asks for receive and transmit codes, and has all the possible codes in a book and just pick the number, lol

2 hours ago, WSBR383 said:

I also have a Retevis radio that I program in the truck and it is so much more simple

If you don't have very many channels you are trying to program then yes, it is probably simpler than using chirp. However, if you are trying to program lots of channels in multiple different radios, then it's chirp for the win.

31 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

If you don't have very many channels you are trying to program then yes, it is probably simpler than using chirp. However, if you are trying to program lots of channels in multiple different radios, then it's chirp for the win.

It actually isn't bad, the software is easy to program.  The problem is you can't name the channels, have to remember or have a cheet sheet for what each channel number is, but it holds 99 channels.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 145834.png