DVmega or ZUMspot hotspot GMRS capability?

WRZK971

Question

4 answers to this question

Anybody know if a DVmega Pi3 or ZUMspot elite 3.5 can be programmed to connect to GMRS live?
Thanks, Rick

Not sure if that is possible. I haven't seen any network talkgroup ids that are linked. Plus it's not in the same service, so what are the legal ramifications?

Would this be a violation (maybe multi violation)? I mean cross repeating two separate radio services? You know gmrs radio transmissions to an ip network over to an amateur ip network, then over to potentially retransmitted to amateur frequencies on a hotspot?

God my head hurts thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, WRZK971 said:

Anybody know if a DVmega Pi3 or ZUMspot elite 3.5 can be programmed to connect to GMRS live?

Thanks, Rick

Both of those hotspots are designed to join to a pre-existing network. For DMR that’s the Brandmeister network. There are also networks for YSF, DStar, NXDN, and P25. 
All of those are networks designed around digital voice modes. The hotspots expect to receive and transmit digital data, not analog FM. My hotspot wouldn’t know what to do with analog FM.
Currently GMRS is analog FM. 

As an add on question to the OP's question, isn't the the DVmega and ZUMSpot just hardware that does what the OS tells it to and connects to the network programmed on the sd card? Could you write an image for the sd card to connect to the mygmrs network and have the hardware operate in FM, assuming it's FM capable?

2 hours ago, hfd376 said:

As an add on question to the OP's question, isn't the the DVmega and ZUMSpot just hardware that does what the OS tells it to and connects to the network programmed on the sd card? Could you write an image for the sd card to connect to the mygmrs network and have the hardware operate in FM, assuming it's FM capable?

I don’t know if the chipsets used in those hotspots support analog and I don’t know if the RF stage can be adapted to GMRS frequencies.  If they do, then possibly it could be done.