New to GMRS

I was given a couple of Baofeng uv-5x radios and just received my license. I've just been listening not interacting with anyone yet. I'm curious if there are some websites that can give me information or training on everything GMRS. Just want to learn so I can operate responsibly.

5 minutes ago, Chessy68 said:

I was given a couple of Baofeng uv-5x radios and just received my license. I've just been listening not interacting with anyone yet. I'm curious if there are some websites that can give me information or training on everything GMRS. Just want to learn so I can operate responsibly.

1 minute ago, OffRoaderX said:

I have heard a few people mention that Youtube has some good videos going over every aspect of using GMRS and pretty much all GMRS radios. 

Chessy68,

Randy (@OffRoaderX) has put together a metric buttload of videos about almost entirely GMRS radios. They’re available under the name “Notarubicon”.

Not everyone appreciates his humor, so if they don’t appeal to there are many others. 

Welcome to the forum!

12 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Chessy68,

Randy (@OffRoaderX) has put together a metric buttload of videos about almost entirely GMRS radios. They’re available under the name “Notarubicon”.

Not everyone appreciates his humor, so if they don’t appeal to there are many others. 

Welcome to the forum!

However, you do get the straight poop instead of the soft and runny poop. You should note the T-Shirts he wears in the videos.

4 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I have heard a few people mention that Youtube has some good videos going over every aspect of using GMRS and pretty much all GMRS radios. 

I know not what you are talking about. lol. thank you for what you do and keep it coming. there is much noise in this world and I think even in humor you bring some clarity. maybe its just me. IDK

Thanks for the information, I have found the TheNotRubicon YouTube channel and been watching the videos. Very informative and fun to watch. Ordered a programming cable from Amazon today. Again thank you for any help you can give this newbie.

21 minutes ago, Chessy68 said:

I have found the TheNotRubicon YouTube channel and been watching the videos

Be careful watching those videos!  Many people here have decreed that guy is just a shill and will say or do anything that the cheap-chinese-radio manufactures tell him to say or do. 

This must be true because everyone that proclaims this has a forum signature that say they have had a H.A.M. license for 20 years or more.

I'm new to the GMRS world and have also found his videos on YouTube. Quite helpful! I saw his newest video after reading on this thread. Probably laughed too hard at it. 

I left my two baofengs on the table last night before bed. Woke up today and no new radios. About to email him and see what I'm doing wrong. 

2 hours ago, WSCJ548 said:

I'm new to the GMRS world and have also found his videos on YouTube. Quite helpful! I saw his newest video after reading on this thread. Probably laughed too hard at it. 

I left my two baofengs on the table last night before bed. Woke up today and no new radios. About to email him and see what I'm doing wrong. 

We as mere mortals cannot tell, but both of them might be girls or boys?