RT97 hanging on transmit

WSBQ643

Question

I just installed my RT-97 in a new location. I installed a new antenna, new ABR400 coax. Tested the SWR and got 1.2 and power out was 5.4. Everything looked great. When I use my HT or mobile and key up the repeater even momentarily I get a lot of static back and the repeater stays stuck on transmit crackling for several seconds. This happens on two different antennas and two different types of coax. 

If I am within 1/8th of mile from the repeater I can hear audio. Once I get past that when I key the repeater up I don't see the receive on any other radio. Once I unkey the repeater I see the receive light come on, on another radio but no audio. 

I am at a complete loss unless the RT97 which is new has some kind of issue. I wouldn't think it was the duplexers because the SWR's are perfect and the power out is great. 

I thought maybe turning up the squelch on the repeater may help but I don't think that would have anything to do with not receiving any audio. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

I think I am going to take one of my baofeng HT's and use the SA 112 to see if that has the same issue to figure out if its the RT97.  

7 answers to this question

The repeater was supposed to have the duplexers tuned for 467.6500 receive and 462.6500 transmit. That is the freq. I have been trying to use. I tried other frequencies that are programmed in the repeater but same result on all channels. 

I do have to add that I have no idea or equipment available to check the tuning of the duplexer's. The repeater seemed to work fine for about a week right after I got it and then we had a rain storm and it started this. That is one of the main reasons for putting up a new antenna and changing the coax. 

I had the exact same issue with my RT97. I went back and forth with Retevis several times and they sent me a small program they called a "debugging" program. Actually I think it was for tuning the duplexer but I can't confirm that. It seemed the values when I read the the RT97 started on channel 1 at 150 the went up in increments of 10 until the mid point and then they started jumping by 15 then 20. I looked at their example and all the channels from channel 22 on were set to 255. When I read mine they were all reading 180, 190 and then jumped to 250 on the last channel. I used the software and changed all the channels from 22 on to 255 and have not had any issues since. Don't know if this helps but it fixed my issue with the transmitter hanging. I would stick for 10 to 15 seconds and then sometimes had to just unplug it. I attached a photo of the what the software looks like when installed.

RT97Tune.jpg