Two repeaters on the same frequency cross talking

DrBob

In my area, we have two different repeaters owned by two different people approximately 30-40 miles apart. Both repeaters are on the same frequency but one has ctcss on transmit and receive and one has DCS on transmit and receive. When someone breaks the squelch on one channel from that channel, the audio from the adjacent channel will flow in also creating the effect of both channels talking at once until everyone lets off the mic. If no one keys up and the adjacent channel is talking you cannot hear them unless you switch to their channel. Confusing? Yes. It is for me to try to explain. Suggestions anyone?

1 hour ago, DrBob said:

In my area, we have two different repeaters owned by two different people approximately 30-40 miles apart. Both repeaters are on the same frequency but one has ctcss on transmit and receive and one has DCS on transmit and receive. When someone breaks the squelch on one channel from that channel, the audio from the adjacent channel will flow in also creating the effect of both channels talking at once until everyone lets off the mic. If no one keys up and the adjacent channel is talking you cannot hear them unless you switch to their channel. Confusing? Yes. It is for me to try to explain. Suggestions anyone?

One of them needs to change frequencies. Are the other seven repeater pairs occupied?

I think you are correct Sshannon. What I really wanted to know however was if my radio was acting incorrectly by allowing these frequencies to cross each other like that. I've been told that because one has DCS and one has CTCSS that that should not happen. What do you think? By the way, I do believe at least one or two pairs are open near here.

1 hour ago, DrBob said:

I think you are correct Sshannon. What I really wanted to know however was if my radio was acting incorrectly by allowing these frequencies to cross each other like that. I've been told that because one has DCS and one has CTCSS that that should not happen. What do you think? By the way, I do believe at least one or two pairs are open near here.

The CTCSS and DCS only serve the purpose of "breaking things open". Both the repeaters and your radio. Once they have, traffic flows. Nothing is wrong with anything, aside from the poor coordination of the parties running those repeaters. We have a couple of repeaters doing that to eachother in my area as well.

I think that the root of the problem is that when the FCC laid out the band plan for GMRS with the 8 repeater pairs, they didn't expect people to go "full ham radio club" and put things on towers that get out forever. So in some regions it's getting to be problematic.

2 hours ago, DrBob said:

It doesn’t matter that one is DCS and the other is CTCSS. In either case squelch is opened up and audio from any present signal is reproduced.