Transmitting with Ctcss

WRVP339

Question

3 answers to this question

Heres a dumb question.  If I transmit on channel X with CTCSS turned on , How will I know if I someone else is
or is not talking on that channel that is not using a CTCSS tone ?  
You won't unless they have the same tone.

Locally we suggest all people enable/program a monitor button if out radio has that feature...

Then monitor for about 30sec to a minute before transmitting.

On repeater pairs a lot of have no receive ton on the receive side. I don't do this because I don't want to hear all the kids and lawn mor companies stopping my repeater scan. So generally, before transmitting on a repeater pair I hit the monitor button on my xtl5k or xg100m and I removes the tones for the receive side. It's helpful for some one whom might be close on simplex but can be heard by the repeater for one reason or another (usually wrong tone or dont even have one set) but can hear our conversation on the repeater output.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

On 4/19/2024 at 6:20 PM, WRVP339 said:

If I transmit on channel X with CTCSS turned on , How will I know if I someone else is or is not talking on that channel that is not using a CTCSS tone ?  

It's been my experience that you might hear them, or in the case they are using another CTCSS setting you'll see the signal bar on your display indicate a signal reception from their radio. Pay attention to the, "listen first" as well.