simplex/duplex and 4 port USB charger

WSBQ643

Question

I will start with the 4 port USB charger. I initially posted that I had a baofeng UV-5G plugged into a cell phone battery charger and a SR-112 simplex repeater plugged in. Every time I tried to use it the SR112 would lock up on transmit and stay that way for a while before it quit transmitting. The guess was the battery pack did not have enough horse power to support to devices. So I got a 4 port USB hub and plugged both directly into it. Sure as the sun rises the SR112 locked up again on transmit. So I put the radio on the 4 port USB hub with a laptop and a phone and the SR112 on a single USB charger and it worked perfectly. I have no idea why, when both devices are plugged into the same USB port or the same batter pack that the SR112 locks up. 

Now for the simplex and duplex repeater. I live in a very woody area with lots of hills and ridgelines. I setup an RT97 repeater on top of one ridge and I could talk to the person on the other side of the ridge. When I went two ridges away and was down in the draws I could not hit the RT97. So I decided to take a baofeng UV5G and flip the frequencies from what the repeater had and put it on the second ridge. I was surprised but from the draw after the second ridge I could hit the simplex repeater and it keyed the RT97 and we could talk just fine. Repeater frequencies in the RT97 and the radio stayed the same. Before anyone starts in on why this is not legal, I will say this was testing just for emergency purposes. 

Just thought I would share

4 answers to this question

Regarding the usb battery pack chargers. They are not really designed to be used as power supplies. They are for charging small batteries. They can power small devices but it is likely they just don't put out the current needed to run radio equipment. You would be better off using a larger 12 volt battery.

I haven't tried one of those jump packs for starting a vehicle but they have a large amount of stored power.  I have used a Ryobi battery converted to power up a 20w mobile device (need to find that thread from last month).