Visitors to US

Guest Mark VK2ZB

Guest Mark VK2ZB

Hi, When I visit USA, am I able to obtain a GMRS license without being a US citizen?

When I travel in the US, I would like to use the GMRS repeater network.

Here in Australia, we have a similar system called UHF CBRS on 477mhz, with 80 channels including repeaters. I own 4 repeaters for public access and link them to Zello.

Cheers, Mark in Australia

If your not being a douchebag, i would not sweat it licensed or not.  Im guessing by the VK2ZB that is an Australian call sign by your regulatory agency.

Just use that.

(this is not legal advice, just advice on the reality of how many ***** you would get from the FCC in reality)

11 hours ago, Guest Mark VK2ZB said:

Hi, When I visit USA, am I able to obtain a GMRS license without being a US citizen?

When I travel in the US, I would like to use the GMRS repeater network.

Here in Australia, we have a similar system called UHF CBRS on 477mhz, with 80 channels including repeaters. I own 4 repeaters for public access and link them to Zello.

Cheers, Mark in Australia

Hi Mark,

I commend you for wanting to do things right.  Unless you are working as a “representative of a foreign government” I don’t know of any reason you couldn’t obtain a GMRS license.  It’s only $35 and it lasts for 10 years. The tallest hurdle will be navigating the FCC ULC system. Notarubicon has a guide that takes you through that step by step. I believe you need a U.S. address for a GMRS license.  It’s just a mailing address, not a transmitter location. https://www.notarubicon.com/how-to-get-a-gmrs-license-easy-guide-to-gmrs-licensing-on-the-fcc-website/

In general you register for an FRN first.  That definitely allows international addresses and there are 2244 Australians with FRNs already. Registering for an FRN is free.

Then you apply for the GMRS license using the FRN you just got.  It takes a separate step to pay for it.  Please don’t judge all of us in the USA by the FCC licensing system.  It’s terrible and we know it.

Hopefully you’ll also bring a dual band ham radio handheld.  There are a lot more ham radio repeaters across this country and as you probably already know amateur radio operators can operate in the amateur radio service in many countries they are visiting without needing to obtain that country’s ham license.  

Many people do operate without a GMRS license in the USA, but if I were doing that I would not provide an easily identifiable call sign for another service.  Choosing to disregard regulations is a personal choice and a lot of my friends do it, but they don’t complicate their situation by providing a ham call sign that can be traced.

I hope you have a great time in the USA. 
73 de AI7KS