BTECH AMP-U25D

WRQG450

I bought the BTECH AMP-U25D hoping to see some improvements with my radio transmission. it claimed that it will boost my wattages unto 30watts. My setup consist of a UV5R, Midland MXTA-12 Base, Midland MXTA26 antenna and the Amp. Am I on the right track with this equipment? what would you all recommend for a mobile setup/handheld user.   Thanks in advance. 

20 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Just buy a good radio.  For the price of the amp you could have gotten a good mobile radio.  

I get that... I am looking at the Wouxun KG-1000G Plus. Seems to be getting good reviews on it. I'm just trying to use what I got for the time being. It's just that I am having trouble hitting the repeaters in my area. 

1 hour ago, WRQG450 said:

I bought the BTECH AMP-U25D hoping to see some improvements with my radio transmission. it claimed that it will boost my wattages unto 30watts. My setup consist of a UV5R, Midland MXTA-12 Base, Midland MXTA26 antenna and the Amp. Am I on the right track with this equipment? what would you all recommend for a mobile setup/handheld user.   Thanks in advance. 

There's nothing wrong with these amplifiers. There are some valid use cases. Like if you need the power but you don't have anywhere in your car to mount a mobile radio, or if you want to use the same handheld both in the car and when you're walking around. Mount the amplifier under the seat or someplace out of sight where it gets airflow. I run a Yaesu FT60 amateur radio in a cupholder mount with a magnetic mount antenna when I drive my wife's Kia Soul. The five watts is fine around town but it would be nice to have that amplifier under the seat.

While the recommendation of getting a good mobile radio is good, go with what you currently own or can afford right now. Many GMRS and amateur radio operators have started out with a 5 watt hand held radio and a magnet mounted antenna. That setup works for short distances on simplex and also works pretty good when using repeaters.

A 25 watt amp will work just fine with a 5 watt HT when using a good antenna. @WRQC527 gives a good use case for using a hand held radio and an amp.

On 5/5/2024 at 5:15 AM, WRYZ926 said:

While the recommendation of getting a good mobile radio is good, go with what you currently own or can afford right now. Many GMRS and amateur radio operators have started out with a 5 watt hand held radio and a magnet mounted antenna. That setup works for short distances on simplex and also works pretty good when using repeaters.

A 25 watt amp will work just fine with a 5 watt HT when using a good antenna. @WRQC527 gives a good use case for using a hand held radio and an amp.

I will never understand the amp hooked to a hand held.  For the same money as an amp one can get a much better hard mounted mobile unit that will do much better then the ht hooked to the amp with out all the hooking and unhooking cables and chargers for the ht.  When I get in the car I turn off my hand held (saves it’s battery)  and turn in the mobile that’s it and it cost the same as the amp so why do an amp?  

There are no Part 95 certified amplifiers for gmrs; therefore illegal.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

I see the FCC requires transmitters be Part 95 compliant, at least to be sold/labeled for GMRS use. I also see where the FCC limits power to 50w - but I do not see where the amplifier must be Part 95 certified.

Common sense suggests that if the radio is compliant and the power does not exceed 50w, it’s a non issue.

Regardless, are you a Junior FCC Agent? If not, I fail to see why you would care…..

1 hour ago, Hoppyjr said:

I see the FCC requires transmitters be Part 95 compliant, at least to be sold/labeled for GMRS use. I also see where the FCC limits power to 50w - but I do not see where the amplifier must be Part 95 certified.

Common sense suggests that if the radio is compliant and the power does not exceed 50w, it’s a non issue.

Regardless, are you a Junior FCC Agent? If not, I fail to see why you would care…..

An amplifier is a transmitter and transmitters sold for the GMRS service are required to be certified for part 95e.