Baofeng UV-5R GMRS wont communicate with Tidradio TD-H3s gmrs.

Oakey247

Question

Does one know UV-5R won’t communicate with TD-H3? New to gmrs and having trouble getting this radio to communicate with each other. Tried to rest all on the UV-5Rs and nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Does one know UV-5R won’t communicate with TD-H3? New to gmrs and having trouble getting this radio to communicate with each other. Tried to rest all on the UV-5Rs and nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We’re gonna need more information.

1 hour ago, Oakey247 said:

Those aren't inherently GMRS radios. The UV-5r has to be "unlocked" to transmit on GMRS frequencies. I imagine the TD-H3 also has to be configured in some way before it will transmit on GMRS frequencies. You bought ham radios for GMRS. They're probably capable, but won't just transmit on GMRS frequencies out of the box without some configuration. Unfortunately the question, as asked, doesn't explain what state you're currently in, other than "it doesn't work."

Has the UV-5r been unlocked for GMRS?

Has the TD-H3 been configured for GMRS transmission?

If you transmit from the UV-5r to the cheapest FRS radio from Walmart, does that radio pick it up? If you transmit from that radio back to the Baofeng, does the Baofeng pick it up?

Now try the same with the TD-H3.

Because that cheap FRS radio will require no configuration other than to select a channel that corresponds with the frequency you're trying to work, this strategy would remove one half of the complexity from the testing. Amazon has a cheap FRS pair for $16.99. Since FRS uses the same frequencies as GMRS, you're using the simplest device to check the more complex device's configuration. And when you're done testing, you have a couple of extra, super cheap FRS, super simple to use radios to toss into the glovebox and use for close-range communications once in awhile, or to hand out to an unlicensed, non-radio-savvy friend to use.

Unlock both radios and program them on a computer with gmrs frequencies.   It seam with out any additional info that you have some learning curve to go through with these radios.  Non gmrs locked radios need a little more help along the way then gmrs typed radios. 

this is where chirp can help. I had an issue trying to get my gmrs radio to talk to my boys rms radio. I used chirp to download the programing from both radios then just made sure my gmrs radio had the correct frequencies and any other things like tones programed in. that worked once my mrs radio was in channel mode. I hope this helps