What Would Cause Static/Noise Across ALL GMRS Channels?

28 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

If it's that bad, I wonder why there isn't one of the UHF systems guys up there all the time trying to figure out why their repeaters are deaf/desensitized. 

Probably because its only an issue in the dirt, so not a lot of people complaining.

28 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

So you can't hear it on I10, but you can at Red Cloud?

You might notice it on i10 just west of the Red Cloud Mine Road exit, but it doesnt kill your radio... and its not even a problem as far east as the Red Cloud Mine or even the opening of the canyon.. But just west of there, for mile or two south/south-west, is where it wipes-out all the GMRS frequencies.

53 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Probably because its only an issue in the dirt, so not a lot of people complaining.

You might notice it on i10 just west of the Red Cloud Mine Road exit, but it doesnt kill your radio... and its not even a problem as far east as the Red Cloud Mine or even the opening of the canyon.. But just west of there, for mile or two south/south-west, is where it wipes-out all the GMRS frequencies.

Report it to the FCC as interference. 

22 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Mine as well - i guess the real question is does the FCC regulate what the Fly-boys do?  No way that you, me, or any company could blast-through all GMRS channels like that without at least getting a mean letter.

The NTIA ( National Telecommunications and Information Administration) administers most Fed Govt radio allocations, but not all.  Way back when I was keeping the world safe for democracy we routinely used the upper parts of the 6m Ham band in the Army, of course we yelled at the SH's that tried to tell us the freq. was in use, as well as portions of the VHF TV audio freqs. within one mile of our location as we practiced using ECM (jamming)  platforms. So if it's coming from a source the NTIA has control over, or other military (DoD, etc) user, not much you can do about it. They tend to not play so nice!

14 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

of course we yelled at the SH's that tried to tell us the freq. was in use, as well as portions of the VHF TV audio freqs. within one mile of our location as we practiced using ECM (jamming)  platforms.

The Germans would not let us use the new (at that time) SICGARS radios in 1994. We were interfering with their civilian communications, televisions and broadcast radio.

We would occasionally mess with the local TV station in Rolla, MO when I was stationed at Fort Leonardwood. We would have fun with civilians that complained about us on the frequencies when I was at NTC/Ft Irwin. We would purposely jam the whiners.

On topic, @OffRoaderX it will be interesting what you find is causing the interference.

16 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

We would occasionally mess with the local TV station in Rolla, MO when I was stationed at Fort Leonardwood. We would have fun with civilians that complained about us on the frequencies when I was at NTC/Ft Irwin. We would purposely jam the whiners.

ASA/INSCOM vet? - Former 98G2L/05H2L here  (98G is now in the 35N and 35W MOS')

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Topic...   Yes, Let us know ORX what you find out!

I'd be interested to know if the interference stops at some point when you get closer to the site. It would also probably be helpful to plot where the interference is first noted and when it disappears to get some vectors. Either way, beyond not being able to hear other radios in your party, I'd say its a good test showing selectivity and rejection of your Moto vs. other inexpensive radio on chip designs.

2 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

I'd say its a good test showing selectivity and rejection of your Moto vs. other inexpensive radio on chip designs.

I like that idea. I can't afford the better radios but I do have an old Kenwood TH-75A that was given to me. Just last night I had my UV-5R tuned into a net. Every time someone un-keyed, it let out a very loud and obnoxious noise. I turned on the Kenwood and it did not have that noise. With both of them on and sitting on the table, it was very obvious the difference between the two.

Even though I can't afford the good stuff, it's nice to know you actually get something for what you pay.