telewave ant450d Folded Dipole for repeaters?

i want to know what everyone thinks about the telewave ant450d and how it compares next to the comet gmrs 9.whatever gain? i am learning about unity gain. want to see what you all think!

Everyone has their opinion about the jpole. i want to know which one you think better!

Every one I know has dumped all their other antennas j pole, home made stuff, Ed fong junk, and everything else are all going to the comet 712efc. 10’ tall 9db   Find me another antenna for $130ish that can talk consistently over 200miles with a 20w base unit and I’ll rethink my opinion.   Can you get a better antenna for more money? Yes.  Can a directional yagi work better with more money? Yes! For for the money in my opinion and the opinion of most of my gmrs repeater club the comet 712efc is the best bang for the buck. One guy in our club 60miles from our repeater fell for the ed fong scam and paid a bunch of money for one of his.  He could not even activate the repeater with a 50w base.   He got a comet 712efc and now he can talk on the repeater fiull quieting with his 5w hand held hooked to the antenna if he wants to.    Mine is up 30’ and I’m using a 20w base and I have 200mile range in 90 degs one way and about 100miles in the other directions except directly behind me since I have 10,000ft mountains in that direction. 

1 hour ago, WRXP381 said:

Every one I know has dumped all their other antennas j pole, home made stuff, Ed fong junk

Seems like nobody you know keeps much of anything.. Based on your posts, everyone you know has also dumped their Midland radios and their Revevis radios.  Do you guys get together every month and build a big bonfire out of all the things you dump?

i  seen a 16' tall comet antenna and it made me wonder . i see most repeater sites are folded dipole as i use to work on towers and was never into two way at the time, or at least in those bands i should say. i have always been an 11 meter guy, and enjoy the DX. there is a difference in dbi and dbd and im trying to wrap my head around it.  however, most repeater sites use this style and have stoopid coverage and perfect RX. i wanted to see if anyone else could chime in. i am making a deal for an equipment trade and in my research, im lead to believe the folded dipole ( telewave ant450d ) is the best option. yes , very expensive, however im not spending the money, only trading equipment for it.

3 minutes ago, UcantCme said:

i  seen a 16' tall comet antenna and it made me wonder . i see most repeater sites are folded dipole as i use to work on towers and was never into two way at the time, or at least in those bands i should say. i have always been an 11 meter guy, and enjoy the DX. there is a difference in dbi and dbd and im trying to wrap my head around it.  however, most repeater sites use this style and have stoopid coverage and perfect RX. i wanted to see if anyone else could chime in. i am making a deal for an equipment trade and in my research, im lead to believe the folded dipole ( telewave ant450d ) is the best option. yes , very expensive, however im not spending the money, only trading equipment for it.

One of the reasons repeater sites frequently use folded dipoles is that they have arrays of two or more of them to increase gain as well as to angle them downward from horizontal. 
They’re very durable and withstand high winds, plus they look cool. 😎 

IMG_2651.jpeg

IMG_2648.jpeg