I just ordered a Retevis RA87, anyone run one?

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTime said:

After reading the very detailed post from  WRQW589   I was quite eager to get back into the truck and try to get the power options working like on his RA87.   

I was wrong!  I was able to find the power settings in the software today.  I reprogrammed new power levels into several channels.  All uploaded fine and the display showed the new levels. 

I then decided to test what would happen if I tried (like on-the-go) to change the power levels manually from the radio face.  Using Channel 22 as a subject (which was at power level L2), I did a manual power change (the FUN>MHZ>6 option process)  and rotated the knob to change power levels.  The display went from L2 to L3 with a higher-pitched tone.  I saved and exited.  I then tried to change the power level back to (software set) L2.   The radio reverted to Low with a normal tone. Channel 22 power options are now back to only low or high power.    

That is okay by me. I just wanted to test what would happen.

The other issue, that I am working on, is that My radio has 2 banks of 30 channels.  I know what the manual states -- but that claim is not reflected in my radio so far.    When using the software to program this radio the channels written to the software beyond channel 30 are ignored/ and don't install/write to the radio.    

My RA87 channel selector knob goes from channel 30 back to channel 1 in either bank. 

I admit that I  don't need 200 memory channels (like the manual states) but I am wondering if I am missing some hidden option to activate those other 140 Memory and Call channels and Memory Channel management like the book states.🤔

Making slow progress. 

Thanks all!😃

Glad the power issue somewhat worked itself out.

I really can't speak for the Retevis software. I program mine with CHIRP, and with CHIRP I'm not limited to only 30 channels per bank. Can you share a screenshot of what the programming for you channels past 30 looks like in the Retevis software? Also, maybe give CHIRP a try. Don't forget that you have to download the code plug / image from the radio into CHIRP before you can begin editing.

I used both Chirp and Retevis.   There are lines in both programs for 99 channels.  I have tried Simplex and duplex frequencies past line 30 in both-- but they do not write to the radio past line 30.    

Do you have working memory channels past channel 30 in your radio on either bank? 

The Chirp pictures I just uploaded are horrible.

I'll retry in the morning.

Edited by CoffeeTime
poor picture quality

I pulled up the Retevis program and I already deleted the lines past 30 in the Retevis software before saving it this evening-- since they didn't upload.

I can't put them back for a picture unless connected to the radio. I'll add the frequencies to 31,32,33 in the morning and upload a picture. 

1 hour ago, CoffeeTime said:

I pulled up the Retevis program and I already deleted the lines past 30 in the Retevis software before saving it this evening-- since they didn't upload.

I can't put them back for a picture unless connected to the radio. I'll add the frequencies to 31,32,33 in the morning and upload a picture. 

I reviewed my pictures earlier in the thread, and it appears I do have entries in the 30s. 37 is the highest currently. I'll do some more experimentation with CHIRP tomorrow.

10 hours ago, SvenMarbles said:

I've got channels programmed to 37. They load in and work on the radio.

past30.jpg

Yeah, I checked the radio and CHIRP; I go up to 48 currently. I store the fully open set (no tones) in 1-30, then actual repeaters with their tones, then some family-use simplex configurations. We have configured one channel in the 1-7 range and one in the 15-22 range, the latter in several power configurations. When using the radios in known close-proximity such as assisting backing up a tow vehicle to a trailer, we use the lower-powered channels and stay away from the channels that repeaters may be using. When we need more simplex range we'll shift over to the 15-22 area. So that ends up getting me up to about 48 programmed channels.

A big Thank you for the great tips/info everyone.

Okay, the radio is now programmed with channels 1-40 and 98 and 99.

Errors that I realized today programming again with Chirp Next:

The Simplex frequencies I had been inserting into channel slots past 30 (31,32,33,34,35) using Chirp were being ignored and not writing to the radio.  I failed because I was copying and pasting "good" lines of other working channels into these (Ch.31-35) slots... but I failed to delete the + symbol in the duplex column.

Once I corrected the + symbol mistake,  I then copied and pasted the A and B bank's frequencies exactly alike. The radio accepted it. All the channels past 30 (except 2 lines on B bank) took.  I then tracked those issues down and found that the + symbol was still absent -- but the bandwidth had changed (to a 5) during copying and pasting = easy fix. Resaved and written to the radio. All are now appearing past channel 30. 😃    

Thanks again!!

After sleep, and thinking more clearly.... Update: 
I now know that the + symbol issue was not completely the total fix to my programming problems.   While it is still relevant to have  the duplex + off for Simplex channels,  I  recall now that I had been trying duplicate lines of working repeater channels (installed/working above Ch.30)  and that they would not write to the radio for Channels 31-35 either.   

Hx: I had been having reset issues with the radio and had contacted Retevis for help as my manual reset operations from the radio face were never fully resetting the radio.  
I now think that the Reset Help (a code plug/dat file) that Retevis sent to me (and I used it several times) also played a part in the success I am now having.
      I know it helped my Left Bank regain the lost features I was seeing there. It was locking up/ no mode options. 

I won't post the file attachment here, but I have saved it, and I can forward it to any RA87 user using their personal email if desired,  or you can request it directly from       kam@retevis.com

You run the dat.file  inside the RA87 software. You open the file (just like you would open a saved channels list file) and then write it to the radio. The radio then resets and power cycles. I ran it three times to be sure and no brick.   

Another site that helped me with reset concerns is: 

https://twowayradiocommunity.com/how-to-do-retevis-radio-factory-resetting/

FYI,  attachment of an earlier test example on the Retevis software with random tones for the Writing to radio test-- and not to TX with. AAAARETEVISCapture.PNG.0d9e79c09cbbbb91e895e4bd12329e57.PNG

Next thing to sort out: I *think* that when I upload from CHIRP, the scan mode settings aren't retained, or aren't uploaded correctly. Can someone confirm?

Set the scan mode from TO (time-based, the factory default)  to CO (carrier based) in Chirp. Upload to the radio. What setting does the radio get?

This probably isn't a radio issue, more something that I would report to the CHIRP developer who worked on the driver. But first I want to confirm I'm not the only one.

I just went out and checked truck radio. The laptop saved Chirp file from this morning shows CO radio was  sent to the radio. Radio shows TO/Option 12.  

Verified CO in file and wrote file to radio. Radio reset and Radio again shows TO.

Manually set to CO as desired.

Seems there is an issue.

I'm just following up to confirm, the 6/14/2024 release of Chirp Latest contains the bugfix for the RA87 scan modes. If you start up Chirp today, it will suggest downloading the newest version, and that version will have this bugfix.

When I looked over the code I saw that it was probably a one line fix in the driver, suggested the patch. The author acknowledged that it was suitable, applied it, I tested it, and then they rolled it out and closed the bug report.

I tested today with my SWR meter again, and found the power output levels to be relatively higher than predicted in the software. CHIRP, for example, lists the levels as:

L/L1: 5w

L2: 10w

L3: 15w

M: 20w

H: 40w

In reality they came in at the following, on channels 15-22:

L/L1: 4.9w

L2: 10.8w

L3: 18.5w

M: 26.2w

H: 38.4w

That, with an SWR of <1.4 with my MXTA26 antenna. And that was with the vehicle shut off, so the input voltage was 12.5v, not 13.8. At "engine running" voltage (14.3v on my vehicle) it should be very close to 40w on high.

However, when I switch over to repeater channels, the output power on high drops to 29w across the board. Something about the 467.xxxx range that the radio doesn't want to output close to its full 40w. But also, in the 467 range, the SWR with the MXTA26 drops to better than 1.1:1 in my installation.

It probably doesn't much matter that I'm losing 10w transmitting on repeater inputs, but I'd still like to know why.

9 hours ago, WRQW589 said:

I tested today with my SWR meter again, and found the power output levels to be relatively higher than predicted in the software. CHIRP, for example, lists the levels as:

L/L1: 5w

L2: 10w

L3: 15w

M: 20w

H: 40w

In reality they came in at the following, on channels 15-22:

L/L1: 4.9w

L2: 10.8w

L3: 18.5w

M: 26.2w

H: 38.4w

That, with an SWR of <1.4 with my MXTA26 antenna. And that was with the vehicle shut off, so the input voltage was 12.5v, not 13.8. At "engine running" voltage (14.3v on my vehicle) it should be very close to 40w on high.

However, when I switch over to repeater channels, the output power on high drops to 29w across the board. Something about the 467.xxxx range that the radio doesn't want to output close to its full 40w. But also, in the 467 range, the SWR with the MXTA26 drops to better than 1.1:1 in my installation.

It probably doesn't much matter that I'm losing 10w transmitting on repeater inputs, but I'd still like to know why.

I can't explain the science of it, but I've noticed that what you have connected downline of your meter matters on your power readings. For example, radio-coax-meter-coax-antenna.... You'd think that the power readout would only be influenced from radio-coax-meter.. But in time with messing with these radios, the things that are connected AFTER the meter have caused variability in the output wattage readings.. I think it has to do with impedance mismatch on the antenna/coax end of the arrangement.  If you've got some other antennas, try them and you'll likely notice different output results when intuitively you wouldn't expect that to be the case..

On my current setup, I get 39.7 on high at 467... Through a 50ft run of LMR400 and into a yagi antenna on a pole.

11 minutes ago, SvenMarbles said:

I can't explain the science of it, but I've noticed that what you have connected downline of your meter matters on your power readings. For example, radio-coax-meter-coax-antenna.... You'd think that the power readout would only be influenced from radio-coax-meter.. But in time with messing with these radios, the things that are connected AFTER the meter have caused variability in the output wattage readings.. I think it has to do with impedance mismatch on the antenna/coax end of the arrangement.  If you've got some other antennas, try them and you'll likely notice different output results when intuitively you wouldn't expect that to be the case..

On my current setup, I get 39.7 on high at 467... Through a 50ft run of LMR400 and into a yagi antenna on a pole.

I connected the SWR meter to a one-foot RG8X coax connected to the back of the radio. And the antenna side is connected to the MXTA26 with the hood mount NMO connector that comes with way too much of whatever cable Midland supplies with that hood lip mount. But again, near 40w at the 462+ range, and 27w on the 467+ range, the repeater inputs. Anyway, it barely matters, or doesn't matter. Just a weird thing. I'll need to test with a dummy load sometime.

6 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

I connected the SWR meter to a one-foot RG8X coax connected to the back of the radio. And the antenna side is connected to the MXTA26 with the hood mount NMO connector that comes with way too much of whatever cable Midland supplies with that hood lip mount. But again, near 40w at the 462+ range, and 27w on the 467+ range, the repeater inputs. Anyway, it barely matters, or doesn't matter. Just a weird thing. I'll need to test with a dummy load sometime.

It truly doesn't matter. I actually don't think there's any reason to have more than a 20 watt GMRS radio under any circumstance..  But it might just be annoying to think your radio wasn't doing what it was sold to you to do...

25 minutes ago, WSDI867 said:

Right out of the box it had a problem. Any time the PTT button is used on High power setting the radio reboots. 

That's unfortunate. Id be surprised if Retevis didn't swap it out for you pronto. Do you happen to know that its antenna and coax are healthy? And the battery connection is in good shape? If those two things check out, it sounds like a straightforward warranty claim.

I sold electronics in college and despite my best efforts to recommend the brands that I believed had the best defect ratios I was always embarrassed when someone would come back the next day with a dead on arrival device. I suspect these radios, at these prices aren't the lowest defect rates around but they'll probably take care of you, and in the end they're a fantastic value.

1 hour ago, WSDI867 said:

Right out of the box it had a problem. Any time the PTT button is used on High power setting the radio reboots. 

It’s purely speculative on my end, but this issue REALLY sounds like whatever power source you’re using cannot supply adequate amperage to the radio while keyed on high..