Can't hit repeaters at all

WSBP642

Question

All of my radios seem to work just fine when simplexing or duplexing across. None of them will activate repeaters anymore. I can RX hams sometimes. I use chirp and manually input freqs but I can't use the orig software because its not Mac friendly. The radios will not save frequency direction or offset in channel mode. I believe its a squelch problem. I am well aware of the controversy and hate I may receive because of this. I dont need comments on baofeng use/rs or people asking me to check my pl tones because ive already checked them off. I need real technical assistance so I can get back on air. Thank You 

uv5r 

bff8hp

uv5xp

bfH7 ?

13 answers to this question

I’d bet your issues have zero to do with any of that Solar flare stuff.  You’re having a small issue that im sure can be over come easily.  Are you close to the repeater?  Have you tried to drive closer?   Do you have line of sight?   I know you said a uv5r are you using the stick antenna?   Have you talked to the repeater owner?   They are usually a wealth of help. 

1 hour ago, WSBP642 said:

I believe its a squelch problem. I am well aware of the controversy and hate I may receive because of this.

I don’t know anything about hate or controversy over squelch.  Now, politics is a different matter. 🙂

But let’s just see if we can get you back to hearing repeaters first and then transmitting to them.  I already posted with a suggestion to change squelch mode to Tone, rather than TSQL. In that mode your receiver will let everything through. I like to work methodically through different things to rule them out.  Once you hear the traffic on the repeater just fine then we can tackle transmitting.

Now if you’re concerned about carrier squelch, that could also interrupt listening and there are some deeper settings in some software defined radios that affect carrier squelch.  

But actually activating repeaters comes down to two things: transmitting on the correct frequency and transmitting the necessary code or tone so the repeater doesn’t disregard your call. Of course this assumes you’re within range.

9 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

I’d bet your issues have zero to do with any of that Solar flare stuff.  You’re having a small issue that im sure can be over come easily.  Are you close to the repeater?  Have you tried to drive closer?   Do you have line of sight?   I know you said a uv5r are you using the stick antenna?   Have you talked to the repeater owner?   They are usually a wealth of help. 

I agree completely. 

On 5/30/2024 at 4:41 AM, WSBP642 said:

The radios will not save frequency direction or offset in channel mode

At least some of these appear to be ham radios. Are you sure that the frequency limits are set to go into the GMRS range and not restricted? Not having some of these radios I’m not sure if you can check this but I am able to see and even change the frequency range on some of my ham radios in chirp. GMRS radios are preset with the offset on the repeater channels so you likely wouldn’t be able to change the offset in them. I use a Mac as well and have no issues with it for programming using chirp. One more thought, when you program your radios are you copying from one radios settings in chirp and dropping into others? Is it possible you changed a setting in other radios without even knowing it. It’s a good idea to always save your previous program when making changes. Hope something here helps. Good luck. 

See if you can connect with a local ham club or other gmrs users via Facebook or club websites. With out hands on, trouble shooting is difficult.

In the mean time, please try saving channel changes via VFO, settin sql to 1 and trying to hit the repeaters from different locations and heights. Do you receive any repeaters better when you hold the monitor button?

It is possible some are down due to weather, maintenance etc. or have changed input tones. I usually leave the RX tone off when I program my ht.

42 minutes ago, WSBP642 said:

All of my radios seem to work just fine when simplexing or duplexing across. None of them will activate repeaters anymore. I can RX hams sometimes. I use chirp and manually input freqs but I can't use the orig software because its not Mac friendly. The radios will not save frequency direction or offset in channel mode. I believe its a squelch problem. I am well aware of the controversy and hate I may receive because of this. I dont need comments on baofeng use/rs or people asking me to check my pl tones because ive already checked them off. I need real technical assistance so I can get back on air. Thank You 

uv5r 

bff8hp

uv5xp

bfH7 ?

What changed?  Or more to the point, what did you change?

Squelch settings on your radio will have no effect on activating repeaters, but could prevent you from hearing the repeater.  So I would suggest changing squelch mode to Tone, and definitely not TSQL, first. That way you can hear the repeater as long as you are on the right frequency. Then just listen to verify that you hear the repeaters when others activate them. 

8 hours ago, WSBP642 said:

this problem started a little before the solar weather and has continued on. I picked up a plain uv5r and now its screwed up too. I think its my computer. Mac older..... This sucks I dont know if ill ever gmrs again.

Im trying to understand how your computer is affecting your radio. I have an original working 1984 Macintosh in my garage, and it has never screwed with my radios.

Hi, 

I suggest manually programming a reliable past repeater frequency and tone into the uv5r --to see if it connects properly with that repeater with positive results. 

If it doesn't,  I would factory reset the UV5R and manually repeat the prior steps.  Afterward, If it connects fully, like before this issue started, that will indicate that it is a computer/programming software-related issue.

As your radios work on Simplex, it isn't squelch. Squelch stops the radio from processing a signal until the receiver has one greater than the squelch level. It will help diagnose any issues if we know the radio make and model.

this problem started a little before the solar weather and has continued on. I picked up a plain uv5r and now its screwed up too. I think its my computer. Mac older..... This sucks I dont know if ill ever gmrs again.