Baofeng UV-5G GMRS Repeater Setup

Mav3rick

Question

Hello, I was provided access to two repeaters. I am new to all this and am still having trouble setting up my Baofeng UV-5G. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Not sure if I need to set the offset. 
Not sure if I need to use T-CTCS or R-CTCS

Once I set everything up my radio does not look like it’s transmitting when I push the PTT. What am I missing? 

I even followed this video to help me but still no luck. What am I missing? 

8 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, Mav3rick said:

I even followed this video to help me but still no luck. What am I missing? 

That video is for the UV-5R which is a H.A.M. radio. Look for a video showing how to setup a repeater on a GMRS radio because the process is very different (MUCH easier on GMRS).

Basic steps are:

1. ID what repeater channel to use based on the frequency of the repeater
  2. enter the transmit tone (receive tone is optional)
  3. there is no 3.. you're done - the whole thing should take about 30 seconds.

If you’re in a repeater channel you do not need to set off set it’s already on the repeater channels.   We would have to see your radio or cps computer file (it’s 100miiin times easier to program a radio from chirp or other program)  but are you close enough to the repeater to transmit to it?   When you ask for a radio check do you get a squelch tail back?   Can you even hear others talking on it?   If you can hear them but they can’t hear you drive closer.  What are your surroundings?  Do you have a clear line of sight?  We really need more info.  A uv5r(and all hand helds)  have  from 1/2mile or less to 30plus miles depending on surroundings.   

I downloaded and read the UV5G manual and searched forums/online and videos. So far I cannot find a tip/ solution to help you. 

FYI, After reading your post, I unboxed a pair of UV-9Gs that I purchased recently but delayed unboxing / testing as  I have been busy.   

I just now discovered that I have the same repeater connection problem on Both of these UV-9Gs  like you are having with the UV5G.   

Findings: 

I press the PTT --  both radios show channel change to the repeater offset channel,  and the CTCSS indicator is present.  Proper CTCSS code is installed. No RX CTCSS is needed or installed.  However, there is zero connection/and the repeater does not open properly. Repeater is opening as usual with other HT radios here.

After programming the radio several times in channel mode, VFO mode, and using Chirp software = there is no improvement or clues.   Two Full Resets and repeated programming attempts = no improvement.

Every setting has been checked/compared to the manual and compared to my other working Baofengs.  No clue. I also tried another antenna.

I am starting to think there is a bug in the Baofeng (FCC compliant) GMRS radios connecting on repeater channels??

I have contacted Baofeng for help. I hope they respond with an answer/ solution.

58 minutes ago, CoffeeTime said:

I downloaded and read the UV5G manual and searched forums/online and videos. So far I cannot find a tip/ solution to help you. 

FYI, After reading your post, I unboxed a pair of UV-9Gs that I purchased recently but delayed unboxing / testing as  I have been busy.   

I just now discovered that I have the same repeater connection problem on Both of these UV-9Gs  like you are having with the UV5G.   

Findings: 

I press the PTT --  both radios show channel change to the repeater offset channel,  and the CTCSS indicator is present.  Proper CTCSS code is installed. No RX CTCSS is needed or installed.  However, there is zero connection/and the repeater does not open properly. Repeater is opening as usual with other HT radios here.

After programming the radio several times in channel mode, VFO mode, and using Chirp software = there is no improvement or clues.   Two Full Resets and repeated programming attempts = no improvement.

Every setting has been checked/compared to the manual and compared to my other working Baofengs.  No clue. I also tried another antenna.

I am starting to think there is a bug in the Baofeng (FCC compliant) GMRS radios connecting on repeater channels??

I have contacted Baofeng for help. I hope they respond with an answer/ solution.

Program one radio to listen on the repeater input frequency and CTCSS code.  Can you hear your transmission?

Do you have a data cable for your UV5G?

I have two UV5Gs, but couldn't tell you how to program a repeater into them from the keypad. I know it's a two step process, but to me at least, I find CHIRP more intuitive. Here are the steps with CHIRP:

• Download and install CHIRP on your computer.
  • Plug in the cable and turn on the radio.
  • Select the Radioditty UV5G as the radio type under the "Radio" menu.
  • Download the current configuration from the radio.
  • In CHIRP, add repeaters and channels as you prefer.
  • Upload it all back into the radio.

I realize this is more than two steps. :)  But it's convenient having everything on one screen where you can compare one row to another to verify you've got settings correct, and where you can easily organize your entries into segments within the radio's memory.

A cable will set you back $8 to $14, and could arrive at your doorstep as early as tomorrow. Once you've gotten familiar with CHIRP, the familiarity will follow you to other radios in the future. For example, I recently obtained a Retevis RA87. It came with a cable, works with CHIRP, and I uploaded my channel lineup to it within minutes of installing it in my vehicle.

Repeaters usually require an input tone to get them to listen to you. And they often send an output tone that you can set your radio to listen for. The input tone on the repeater prevents it from retransmitting a bunch of kids playing on dad's FRS radios a block or two away. The input tone causes the repeater to only open itself up to retransmit when the incoming signal is on the right channel, and transmitting the correct sub-audible tone. When it hears that tone on the frequency it's tuned to, it begins retransmitting on its output frequency.

On its output frequency a repeater will usually also transmit a subaudible tone. This is for you, the listener's benefit. If you set that same tone in your radio, it will only open itself up to playing the incoming transmission if the tone is also heard.

You are not required to set an RX tone. If you do not, your radio will play over its speaker anything it can hear on the frequency you're listening to. If you do set a tone, it must be the same tone that the repeater is sending, so that it can sense that tone and play over its speaker the incoming transmission.

So to summarize: To send a transmission through a repeater you must be on the correct frequency, and you must have your radio set to transmit the tone that repeater requires. To listen to a repeater, you can set no tone (and you'll hear everything transmitted on that frequency), or you can set the repeater's output tone (and you'll only hear that repeater).

If you set an RX tone on your radio, it has to be correct or you won't hear incoming transmissions. Your output (TX) tone must always be correct or the repeater won't listen to you.

I solved my UV-9G not being able to use a repeater.  It was the antenna not making contact properly.   Please make sure your antenna is fully engaged.  

Today, using a smaller diameter UV5R antenna (during more troubleshooting)  gave illumination.

Both supplied antennas seem larger in diameter and needed more (snug) turns than expected. They are now fully seated and radio working TX/RX.

Hoping you get lucky too!  🙂

As has been mentioned, the video is for a different model.

First, make sure you have an empty memory channel to save to. If you need to delete one to make room, use Menu 28 to do so.
Go into frequency mode by pressing the VFO button.
Enter the receive frequency of the repeater.
It should already be set to high tx power and wide bandwidth, but if not use menus 2 and 5 to change them.
The receive CTCSS, if needed, is set in menu 11.
The transmit CTCSS, if needed, is set in menu 13.
Set the SFT-D, "frequency direction", to plus with menu 25.
Set OFFSET, "Offset frequency", to 005.000 with menu 26.
Save this to the channel selected in step one using menu 27.

That should do it.