Can I add my local Fire Department to my radio?

offroadkid

Question

I found the list and frequencies of the local fire departments in my county.  Station 28 is my local Fire Department, but it looks like they are all 159.190.  I entered that into my radio and I can hear them talking but not sure if it is my local station?

I have CHIRP open and entered 159.190 on the line but I don't know that to put in CHIRP for the rest of the categories.  All I have is TONE #1, TONE #2, AND TONE TYPE.

Since I only manually entered in 159.190 am I just hearing everyone broadcasting on that frequency?  Still vey new and learning!  I do know I cannot broadcast with my GMRS radio, but I would like to hear what's happening!

Thank you!

04373651-566D-456F-8468-12890DEDBDCD.thumb.jpeg.e64b0817e6dd10fab3ab3e8898bc5021.jpeg

6 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Without the specific tone you will hear everyone in range.  The purpose of the tone is to blank-out everyone except for who is using that specific tone.

Thank you for the reply and how cool to get a reply from my favorite GMRS YouTuber!!  I enjoy your videos so much and your sense of humor!  Can you let me know what information to put on the line on CHIRP that I have highlighted on the Radio Reference for my fire station?  I have TONE #1, TONE#2, and TONE TYPE, but not sure where those go in CHIRP?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, WSCJ959 said:

I found the list and frequencies of the local fire departments in my county.  Station 28 is my local Fire Department, but it looks like they are all 159.190.  I entered that into my radio and I can hear them talking but not sure if it is my local station?

I have CHIRP open and entered 159.190 on the line but I don't know that to put in CHIRP for the rest of the categories.  All I have is TONE #1, TONE #2, AND TONE TYPE.

Since I only manually entered in 159.190 am I just hearing everyone broadcasting on that frequency?  Still vey new and learning!  I do know I cannot broadcast with my GMRS radio, but I would like to hear what's happening!

Thank you!

04373651-566D-456F-8468-12890DEDBDCD.thumb.jpeg.e64b0817e6dd10fab3ab3e8898bc5021.jpegotection

CDF provides fire protection for El Dorado County. You listed that you programmed 159.19 Megs and that is an incorrect freq. You need to program 151.19 Megs for the repeater output freq and the mobile decode/Rx PL Tone is 146.2 Hz

34 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

I am guessing (hoping) that was a typo.

That was kinda my guess too especially since the chart he displayed showed the correct freq. 159.190 Megs is not even a FCC allocated freq. Anyways, with all the 151/159 Meg freq pair combos the 159 Meg freq is the repeater input and the 151 Meg freq is the repeater output for CDF/CalFire.