Why did you get a GMRS license?

I grew up around CB radio, my grandpa and cousin used to use it around town and when they used to go hunting. I got introduced to GMRS when I got my rig and started wheeling with friends and they told me to purchase a couple Midland radios. Wasn't a fan of how quickly the radios I got were dying and how poorly they were receiving/transmitting so I started researching other radios. I came across @OffRoaderX YouTube and after watching a couple of his vids I decided I needed to get my GMRS license since I wasn't aware that I needed one and upgrade my HT's.

I ran with a crowd using CB back in my teens. Have a friend who is into Ham Radio and wanted to get a license but back then they still required Morse code for the test and I wasn't so good at it. Later in my early 20's I worked at a local FM/AM radio station as a overnight board op for a few years. I ironically got the job because I knew more about radio that the other applicants. I recently was browsing at a local liquidation store that carries Amazon returns and found a Baofeng GM-15 Pro for $8 and a Baofeng UV-21R the next day for $6. I figured since I had 2 radios that use GMRS frequencies I should apply for a GMRS license so my girlfriend and I could communicate on camping trips while driving or hiking in areas with no cell reception. I'm going to look into getting a Ham license next since the requirements have relaxed in the last 30 some odd years since I was first interested in getting one.

I got mine for recreation with my family and friends, we love the outdoors and I also was thinking that since we live in a Hurricane zone (Myrtle Beach) that it would be nice to have the radios in case we need help or anyone else in my neighborhood would need help!!  
we travel to the NC mountains almost every holiday to enjoy the peace and quiet along with the family fun of hiking and camping. I have 5 grandchildren and all of them go on the trips with us. I love teaching them how to live outdoors and use compass and map! I did buy the 3 older ones a GPS from Garmin and have taught them how to use them by setting waypoints and base camp! They enjoy me hiding things in the woods and giving them coordinates of the items, then see if they can find it ! I am very happy to say they have picked up on it well. I taught my son and daughter how to use a compass and map along with a pass counter to keep track of how far they have traveled. Sorry I couldn’t help myself but I am proud of them!! 

I want to start seeing more of the trails and wilderness, and because of gmrs popularity I knew having a gmrs capable radio would be useful. I also like the idea of having just an extra level of safety for emergency communication needs.

I grew up with a grandfather that was a radio engineer in WW2 and was in general, an electrical engineering nerd that used CB and ham from his truck. In a sense, this also been a great way to re-live some good memories and shape the old guy I'm becoming.  I'm new though, so willing to learn as much as I can. 

4 minutes ago, WSDN424 said:

I want to start seeing more of the trails and wilderness, and because of gmrs popularity I knew having a gmrs capable radio would be useful. I also like the idea of having just an extra level of safety for emergency communication needs.

I grew up with a grandfather that was a radio engineer in WW2 and was in general, an electrical engineering nerd that used CB and ham from his truck. In a sense, this also been a great way to relieve some good memories and shape the old guy I'm becoming.  I'm new though, so willing to learn as much as I can. 

I am very new to this but willing to learn as much on my own and always open for suggestions and advice!  I have noticed a few people on here believe they know everything about everything!! But no one on earth knows everything!! I grew up in the country and I just ignore those people! I let people live their lives and I will live mine regardless of their opinions. 

12 minutes ago, WRXR255 said:

I agree, some people can’t admit they don’t know something and refuse to ask! I have learned and sometimes the hard way, just ask and someone will help you out! It’s dangerous in a lot of situations to not admit you don’t know something ! It can lead to yourself and or others to get hurt or even killed! 

I received a couple Midland HTs as a service award from work. Not sure what I was going to do with them, thought they may come in handy for something someday. After watching a few videos online even though I prefer solo camping, hiking and fishing I decided having an additional way to communicate wasn't a bad idea. I bought a Radioddity DB20-G for the Jeep and figured I might as well spend the $35.00 on a license and be legal.

I knew I'd probably never have a home base station because of power lines and trees all throughout my neighborhood. So I'll probably be sticking to handheld / mobile units with "portable" antennas that I can set up at remote locations.

Plus the cost of the license was only $35 and no test, so why not?  🙂

1 hour ago, WSDT603 said:

I knew I'd probably never have a home base station because of power lines and trees all throughout my neighborhood. So I'll probably be sticking to handheld / mobile units with "portable" antennas that I can set up at remote locations.

I am in the same boat my friend I want a base station but don’t know how high I would need to get my antenna so it would work well enough to reach out to the closest repeater!  I am trying to learn enough about the ham radios so I can get my ham license !! There is a lot to remember with that! Anyway I got my GMRS license so I can use the radios with my family when we go camping and hiking. It’s something we really enjoy and I have a background in tracking people in the wilderness and I have taught my son and daughter this now teaching my grandchildren this , in the world we live in now. Never know when SHTF is coming, i like have them in case of emergencies in my neighborhood and or area 

I am in the same boat my friend I want a base station but don’t know how high I would need to get my antenna so it would work well enough to reach out to the closest repeater!  I am trying to learn enough about the ham radios so I can get my ham license !! There is a lot to remember with that! Anyway I got my GMRS license so I can use the radios with my family when we go camping and hiking. It’s something we really enjoy and I have a background in tracking people in the wilderness and I have taught my son and daughter this now teaching my grandchildren this , in the world we live in now. Never know when SHTF is coming, i like have them in case of emergencies in my neighborhood and or area 

Technician license was pretty easy. Just go to the ARRL site (http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/), register and start learning and taking practice exams. I just got mine 7/11/24 and can’t believe I drug my feet as long as I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, WSDT603 said:

I wouldn’t let power lines prevent me from putting up an antenna on a mast.  There’s a huge separation between 60 Hz and 462 MHz.  
Trees are a challenge, depending on the density, height, and moisture content, but you still shouldn’t assume defeat.