Astatic D-104 D104 for GMRS Base?

WSAH786

Question

Greetings wise people, 

Probably a silly question, but would it be possible to modify an Astatic D-104 microphone (like the one below) for use with a GMRS base? I really like the feel of these old mics, but realize my KG1000 that I am currently using as a base has multi-function controls through the existing mic... but most are redundant to the control head/radio itself.  Would it be a fool's errand? Sorry, slow at work today, so my mind wanders on things like this.

D104.PNG.cf1cc9c4b8127ed7be014fd6d800b987.PNG

4 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, WSAH786 said:

Greetings wise people, 

Probably a silly question, but would it be possible to modify an Astatic D-104 microphone (like the one below) for use with a GMRS base? I really like the feel of these old mics, but realize my KG1000 that I am currently using as a base has multi-function controls through the existing mic... but most are redundant to the control head/radio itself.  Would it be a fool's errand? Sorry, slow at work today, so my mind wanders on things like this.

It can be done. I haven’t done it but about a year ago someone asked about it and I googled it. 

58 minutes ago, WSAH786 said:

Greetings wise people, 

Yes,  very easy to do. I've done them for Icom and Kenwood. You will be changing all electronics, including the cord and mic element. I totally restore to new condition, but modernized. 

16 minutes ago, Hoppyjr said:

You might even find a plug in adapter from the D104 to Ethernet, so some web searching might be helpful.

The problem is the impedance of the mic. Adapting it to "work" on a modern radio isn't the problem as it will sound like crap. Unfortunately you need to rework all the guts.