newb question

WSDS892

If there is repeater local to me would I be able to hear someone transmitting if I was tuned to that frequency without having programmed in dpl/ctss or any of the other stuff I haven't wrapped my head around yet?

24 minutes ago, WSDS892 said:

If there is repeater local to me would I be able to hear someone transmitting if I was tuned to that frequency without having programmed in dpl/ctss or any of the other stuff I haven't wrapped my head around yet?

Yes.  Tones are filters that filter out everything not on that tone, so if you want to receive everything coming from a repeater just don't set any receive tone and you will filter out nothing.

On 7/15/2024 at 2:25 PM, WRXP381 said:

Yes.  The tone only keep LS others from transmitting into the repeater.  Tones or not you will here it all on simplex. Nothing is private 

Do all GMRS repeaters have a +5.0 MHz offset for transmit? (ie: 462.625 Rx is 467.625 Tx)? I think I understand tone codes to transmit to open the repeater.

7 hours ago, WSCE577 said:

Do all GMRS repeaters have a +5.0 MHz offset for transmit? (ie: 462.625 Rx is 467.625 Tx)? I think I understand tone codes to transmit to open the repeater.

Yes, the frequencies (channels) are set by regulation.