Prime Day Deals

21 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Nothing.  Amazon doesn’t have any good deals on radios I’d want to own. 

😂 And a cheery good morning to you sir. Sorry my bad, I should have specified anyone other than WRXP381 planning on getting something or found some good deals out there for Prime Day to share? 😂

Just now, WRUU653 said:

Looks like an inexpensive way to get into DMR. Nice. 

It’s the same radio as the TYT MD-UV380.  I bought one of those and installed openuv380 on it, which replaced the factory firmware and made DMR much easier to use and program. OpenUV380 also supports several levels of speech. Once I made those changes I sent it to my blind friend to use at the National Federation of the Blind Deaf/Blind convention in Orlando earlier this month.  He’s going to send it back along with one other for me to load the same firmware.  It worked so well that I thought I might get another. If you get one and send it to me I’ll do the same for you.

UV5G Plus bundle is 25% off, including cable, two antennas for each radio, two radios. 51.99, so you're paying less than 26 per radio, two charging cords, two 771 style antennas, two 701 style antennas, two earpieces, one data cable, and of course the batteries. 

2 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I saw some good deals out there. Retevis Ra25 $83.99 and its counterpart the DB20 for $87.99.

Unless things have changed the Radioddity DB20 comes with a programming cable, and the RA25 doesn't. Since they're the same radio (the default power on screen on my DB20-G said "Anytone". I imagine the Retevis is the same), it's worth it, IMO, to spend a couple bucks more for the DB20 and get the cable.

The UV5R in GMRS mode is $30 for a 2 pack during Prime days on Amazon.  That's $15/ea which is the cheapest I've ever seen them. These are type 95 pre programmed on GMRS channels.  Come with two antennas, desk charger and USB charging.  Of course they can also be programmed for MURS, Ham, Marine etc.

Just bought 2 sets of them to give to family members.

And no offense to those who don't like cheap radios. Just passing this on. 🙄

The UV-5R GMRS radios for $30 is a good deal. And they are perfect for handing out to family and friends or when you are doing something that you might worry about dropping/breaking a radio. I have a set of them myself and while not the best radios, they do work as intended.

21 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

The UV-5R GMRS radios for $30 is a good deal. And they are perfect for handing out to family and friends or when you are doing something that you might worry about dropping/breaking a radio. I have a set of them myself and while not the best radios, they do work as intended.

Is it wrong that I picked up a UV-5R to use at times when I'm worried about damaging my nice and shiny TD-H3?

On 7/16/2024 at 11:52 AM, dosw said:

UV5G Plus bundle is 25% off, including cable, two antennas for each radio, two radios. 51.99, so you're paying less than 26 per radio, two charging cords, two 771 style antennas, two 701 style antennas, two earpieces, one data cable, and of course the batteries. 

That's what I just got - first radios ever. Seemed like a great deal, if I enjoy the hobby, then it's a cheap entry point. If I don't like it or the radios, it's not an expensive entry, and these can work for other family members.

Picked up a Radioddity DB40-G for $143.99 and a Midland – MXTA26 which was not a prime deal.  Now waiting for the smiling truck to get here.  Hearing decent reviews on the new firmware and they fixed their crummy software to include channel naming.  Hopefully winds up a good deal!

Picked up a Radioddity CB-500 CB radio that was $20 off, wanted a newer modern CB to replace my old Sears RoadTalker.  FM will be interesting since they didn't have that back in the day when I bought my original radios. Picked up a couple coils of RG8x Coax as well for future projects.

I got my GMRS UV5Rs today from the prime deal.

The good...

-they did come with an extra pair of Abbree AR177 antennas

-still showing $29.99 on my list and when I put them in the cart.    YMMV

The bad..

-they do not have USB charging like it said in the original ad. Not showing that feature in the ad now.

2 hours ago, mac66 said:

they do not have USB charging like it said in the original ad. Not showing that feature in the ad now.

Yep, I think only the extended battery has that. But I'm not even sure about that since I don't have one. 😕

I've wondered if you could make one.

12 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

Yep, I think only the extended battery has that. But I'm not even sure about that since I don't have one. 😕

I've wondered if you could make one.

Apparently some models now have USB charging.  You can buy a battery with a USB cord on Amazon for $14. Or an extended battery with USB for $16 or a pair of extended USB batts for $26.

Bottom line...it's no big deal to me but it would be nice to be able to charge a battery outside of it's docking station.