Antenna question for UV-9R Pro owners

I just bought a UV-9R Pro as a cheap water resistant option for junking around: hiking, farm work, weekends at the cabin, fishing. Something I won't be upset if it gets broken.

Anyway, right now I've got the stock mini whip antenna (NOT a rubber duck antenna) on it. For those who own this HT, what's your opinion of the stock antenna? Or, do you prefer another antenna for it?

2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Stock antenna worked fine on mine.. But, i'm not trying to bounce signals off the moon or anything.

I'm just wanting a couple miles, like my UV-5R gets. The UV-9R Pro says "8 watts"...but I doubt that.

Did you ever do a video testing the wattage of the 9R Pro?

18 minutes ago, WSBV579 said:

Did you ever do a video testing the wattage of the 9R Pro?

I believe I did.. 
But the TLDR; is: this radio with the stock antenna has the exact same fars as every other GMRS radio, and although switching to a battery might help, it is doubtful it will help enough that you will actually notice any difference.. It is also almost a certainty that you will notice virtually 0 difference between 4 or 5 watts and 8 watts.

Now stop trying to over-think it and go play with your radio.

7 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

It is also almost a certainty that you will notice virtually 0 difference between 4 or 5 watts and 8 watts.

Yeah, I figured that...I was just curious if it really was 8, as Amazon advertised. I doubted it, but bought it anyway. 5 watts is good enough for me.

9 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Now stop trying to over-think it and go play with your radio.

My 5R and 9R are gonna be having some fun together tonight...maybe some antenna swapp'n, some Rx and Tx, maybe even a few Roger beeps back and forth, and I'm not even gonna use my callsign...it's gonna be SO hott! 🥵 🍑 🥒 

One will not notice any difference between 4, 5, or 8 watts. You basically have to quadruple the power output to notice a difference.  Yes you will be able to notice a difference going from 5 watts to 25 watts.

I have tested stock antennas versus the Nagoya 701 and 771. The 771 helped with receive on some hand held radios but weren't any better than the stock antennas on other radios. The wa not any improvement with the 701 compared to the stock antennas on any of my radios.