Node Questions

I am still new to GMRS.  I have successfully learned a lot so far and put the knowledge to good use.  I have recently seen many topics about something called NODES'

I have an area in mind that is just out of reach from a repeater.  But if there is a node nearby, I may be able to access it if I get permission.  I think this will solve my problem or does a Node do something completely different?  Just some quick advice will set me on my research for this topic.   Thanks in advance.

Nodes are kind of like a linked repeater, but in some ways even more annoying.  Like a linked repeater, they frequently pipe in blather and useless conversations from other parts of the state or nation, that have little or zero relevance to anything in the local area.  Like linked repeaters, they have the potential to tie up one of the precious few (8) repeater pairs/50W simplex channels that GMRS has available, with useless chatter that has no relevance or bearing on the local area.  Unlike linked repeaters, people using a node may not be in range of one-another and as a result, will not always hear each-other when communicating with someone via a node.  This may result in doubling and unintentional interference in the local area around the node.

For instance, you may have a node piping in conversation from another county or state in your local area.  You are located fifteen miles west of the node and hit it and receive it with ease from your home.  Another guy lives fifteen miles east of the node.  Likewise, he hits and receives the node with ease from his home.  You and the other guy, however, cannot hear each other.  Let's say the two of you are each in a conversation with a third guy who is coming in via the node.  Each of you will hear and talk with this third guy.  If it is a lively conversation, since you and the guy fifteen miles on the other side of the node cannot hear each other  there may be doubling, or stepping on each-other's transmissions when trying to talk to the guy on the node.  It will create difficulty for him in hearing the two of you.

While there might be legitimate useful potential in having a node at a remote site for limited use by you and close family or friends, most are just a cheap way to clog up one of the few channels on GMRS that are available for repeater or 50W simplex use.

Yep, nodes are a point of contention around here. Some feel that nodes are BAD... The bane of GMRS and the thing that will destroy the very fabric of the service.  They are not to be allowed, nor trusted.  They bring only hate and dismay to the masses. No one in their right mind would use a linked repeater because they use NODES to do the linking.  You really need to avoid them at all costs.  Beware the Node.  They are run by communist sympathizers that are out to overthrow the government, and tax the very air you breathe. 

Or, you can realize that linked repeater systems are a good way to expand your circle of acquaintances.  If a system is large, the chances of not finding someone to chat with on a ride home, even in the middle of the night are pretty slim.  And since when do you need to keep the people you converse with within a 20 mile radius of your home?  

On 7/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, RayP said:

Nodes are kind of like a linked repeater, but in some ways even more annoying.

Ray, I'm not new and your explanation wasn't clear to me.  I think node is a computer networking term that isn't well defined for radio.  Are nodes always connected to the internet?  Do they transmit and receive on the same frequency?  Is there anything else different from using repeaters?

Another term not well defined is hub.

Hi Uncle Yoda!  In the scope that I have always heard the term "node" used, they are always hooked to a network of some kind and almost always simplex or semi-duplex without a repeater function.  That lack of repeater function leads to the enhanced potential for people trying to talk through the node transmitting on top of each other.   I apologize for the lack of clarification.  When I posted that I was getting a lot of back-to-back phone calls.

That may not be a complete definition, but it is how I have generally understood nodes.

Yeah, I suppose a factual explanation is in order.

SO a NODE is actually a small computer (typically a Raspberry Pi) that is using an IP (Internet Protocol) based PBX (Private Branch Exchange) or telephone system (think similar to a business phone system connected on a network). 

The software uses the Internet to create 'conference bridges' more or less to link the computers together so they can carry transmit and receive audio and PTT telemetry to the other nodes that are connected.   A vast part of the nodes are a single PBX (stand alone phone system) with a single extension (the repeater connected to it) to join the conference bridges.  Now you can technically support multiple extensions on a PBX.  These can be other repeaters, or they can be SIP soft phones like Zoiper (what I use) or an actual IP telephone and those can be bridges as well.  If you are using a SIP interface, of course there is no PTT button on either the soft phone or an IP desk set so you have to use dial buttons for the keying. 

Anyone with Google can find out this will work.  I am not going to go into how it works, nor will I go into how to do it (the soft phone / IP phone thing.  I will say that it's not supported on the mygmrs.com system and messing with someone's nodes is also a big no no so don't be trying to experiment on this system. 

Although simplex nodes are possible, I don't know that is supported on here either.  But I am NOT the person to ask about that.  There are others here that can comment if they choose to. 

The previous answer was in response to the fact that there are a number of folks that don't like linking.  And there is much debate on if it's really even legal according to the FCC regulations.  To the point I had a connected repeater on the system and took it down because of the continued questions about the legality of it.  So, if you want to play in that arena, do so with your eyes wide open and understanding that questions exist about doing it.

I didn't want to get too deep in the weeds on how this all works.  I think this should be a reasonable explanation to give you an understanding of the underlying technology in play. 

Just want to say thank you to all that have replied to this 'Node' question.  After reading all these replies and doing more research of my own, I will not be involved with them.  I'm not too fond of the idea of causing congestion.  That's never needed.  Again, thank you all.