F150 Aluminum Body Antenna Options

I have a f150 with aluminum body. I didn’t realize that the mag mount antenna I bought had to actually magnetize to steel for it to work. It’s a Nagoya mag mount. I used double sided tape and stuck it to the roof. I like the looks of it. Looks like it belongs on my truck. I don’t really want a giant whip antenna. Anyone have any ideas how I can make this work aside from strapping a cookie sheet to the top of my truck lol

Well a mag mount needs steel.  So….  Y other good option is to drill a hole for a proper nmo mount and use what ever antenna you want.  Next best would be a no ground plane antenna and find a place to mount it.  Worst option is a lip mount some place.  It won’t work very well for a ground plane antenna.  

you would still have to strap a cookie sheet down.  The aluminum is a fine ground plane just not magnetic for the base mounting.  

1 hour ago, Widowsson said:

I have a f150 with aluminum body. I didn’t realize that the mag mount antenna I bought had to actually magnetize to steel for it to work. It’s a Nagoya mag mount. I used double sided tape and stuck it to the roof. I like the looks of it. Looks like it belongs on my truck. I don’t really want a giant whip antenna. Anyone have any ideas how I can make this work aside from strapping a cookie sheet to the top of my truck lol

There are steel disks that are peel and stick on one side to attach to your roof. Then you just stick the magnet to it. 

17 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

There are steel disks that are peel and stick on one side to attach to your roof. Then you just stick the magnet to it. 

Midland makes one and it works quite well. I have one on the aluminum tool box on my SxS and it holds the Comet 2x4SR antenna just fine.

https://midlandusa.com/collections/accessories/products/micromobilemxta38-adhesive-backed-metallic-mount