Radioddity DB40-G - Programming Cable - Not Windows 11 Friendly

WRQU271

Question

Hello all, 

I got the DB40-G 40 Watt Radioddity and I'm pretty happy with it so far.  However, the programming cable that came with it uses the infamous PL2303 chip. This chip doesn't work on Windows 11. I had to purchase a separate programming cable for my Baofeng UV-5G's that used a different chip. If anyone knows a work-around, I'd appreciate any help. Otherwise, I think I'm stuck on this one. 

Thank you,

Andy

WRQU271

10 answers to this question

I installed a temporary windows 10 to a virtual machine using VMWare and forwarded the USB, and that works. Although, I think I may have been wrong about the chip. CH341SER_A64 is what is displayed in the device settings. 

Hello all,

I must apologize. The USB programming cable does, in fact, work with Windows 11. It does not use the PL2303 as far as I know. I had downloaded the wrong instructions that led me to that assumption. It shows up as image.png.e4ab320beb8d3c5cb01acf1825bd13ce.png for me (in Device Manager).

I was just a dummy and didn't realize that I had to select the correct COMM port at the bottom of the program (this is explained in the instructions image.png.762d732b4231bfafd91d96fa9852a26d.png..... go figure).

To be clear, this is for the DB40-G.   I had originally also downloaded the wrong software. The correct software should look like this after downloading (as of today's date):

image.png.0a502a4a3f07035f4a7f6e7fac4541db.png

On the bright side, I now know how to do all of this with a virtual machine on VMWare running Windows 10 if I ever had to do it for something else... so I guess, silver lining?

Thank you,

Andy

image.png

image.png

image.png

It does not surprise me that you were 180 degrees off about the Radioddity USB cable:

They went through the counterfeit-Prolific chip problem with the clone of the Radioddity DB20-G, the Anytone AT-779UV, and the switch to the CH340 chip and driver in the DB20-G solved the Windows 11 problem.

So why would they go backwards on the DB40-G?!?

44 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

It does not surprise me that you were 180 degrees off about the Radioddity USB cable:

They went through the counterfeit-Prolific chip problem with the clone of the Radioddity DB20-G, the Anytone AT-779UV, and the switch to the CH340 chip and driver in the DB20-G solved the Windows 11 problem.

So why would they go backwards on the DB40-G?!?

Yes, I think they have it fixed with the CH340. I initially could not find the DB40-G software, so I erroneously assumed that the DB20-G software would be basically the same. WRONG. When it didn't work, I associated the PL2303 that was referenced in forums with my Baofeng cable experience and assumed that must have been the culprit. And now... through the miracle of time....  I am proud to share my experience with anyone else that stumbles on this forum and laughs self-righteously at me as if they never would have committed the same error. Yeah, you're shoe is untied, my friend.    ....    (made you look)