National Emergency Frequency?

Hey everyone,

I appreciate you taking the time to read this post. I’ve had my GMRS for quite some time and used it often while in the military with my buddies. Since getting out, I have not used it as much, so please bear with me.

I read an article a few days ago where a HAM user posted a frequency for a national blackout/emergency if it were to happen. Is there one for us GMRS users? If so, how can I go about locating it? I spent the last few days trying to find it (if there is one), and had no luck.

Thank you all!

*If I am writing this in the wrong category/or if this has been asked before, please let me know so I can move it to a different spot or remove it.

9 minutes ago, mmatson50 said:

Hey everyone,

I appreciate you taking the time to read this post. I’ve had my GMRS for quite some time and used it often while in the military with my buddies. Since getting out, I have not used it as much, so please bear with me.

I read an article a few days ago where a HAM user posted a frequency for a national blackout/emergency if it were to happen. Is there one for us GMRS users? If so, how can I go about locating it? I spent the last few days trying to find it (if there is one), and had no luck.

Thank you all!

*If I am writing this in the wrong category/or if this has been asked before, please let me know so I can move it to a different spot or remove it.

Many decades ago, the FCC restricted the 462.675 freq pair for emergency use. At one point in time, the FCC no longer restricted that frequency for emergencies and various GMRS associations adopted 462.675 MHz and Tone 141.3 Hz as a nationwide travel channel.  Overtime and with the influx of new GMRS licensees the National Travel Channel was no longer being recognized as a National Travel Channel except by the longtime licensees. 

The National Travel Channel should be recognized as such but it appears no one is willing to comply and there is no regulation to restrict that channel for said purpose.

There is not.

There is nothing special about any GMRS frequencies other than the implications around power and what types of radios they can use.

Channels 1-7: <= 5w for GMRS, <= 2w for FRS. FRS/GMRS simplex.

Channels 8-14: <= 0.5w for GMRS, <= 0.5w for FRS, handheld ONLY. FRS/GMRS simplex.

Channels 15-22: <= 50w for GMRS, <= 2w for FRS. FRS/GMRS simplex, plus GMRS repeater outputs.

Repeater input frequencies 1-8: GMRS <= 50w, with outputs 5MHz lower.

That's it, that's all there is to know about the GMRS channels.

There are currently no special channels for emergencies, traveler assistance, nothing like that exists. A traveler assistance channel used to exist, but that stopped in the latter part of the 90s.

This question does come up frequently and is answered frequently.

As previously mentioned there is no official national channel/frequency for GMRS emergencies. Some areas have repeaters set up on GMRS for locals in case of flooding, fires and other things that may be common concerns in their particular areas. I have seen some like the one at Oroville that have time restrictions and split tones so residents can monitor through the night in case of a dam flood.  Check with your local ARES group to see if they have adopted anything where you are. Our Emergency Communications Council has adopted  462.675 as “Emergency communications and traveler assistance in the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS).” 

On 8/1/2024 at 10:27 AM, mmatson50 said:

Hey everyone,

Thank you all!

What can I say, as nokones said, at one time the FCC did restrict (462.675 ) repeater pair, so that there was a national simplex for Emergencies. However, I'm not too sure if there is a dedicated channel for Emergencies.