Looking for a really decent GMRS handheld any advice?

If you move to chirp or other computer program they are all very easy to program.  As for “really good” what other options do you want?   They all transmit exactly the same distance.   What is your budget. You can spend several $100 or even close to a $1000 and have the same basic functions as a $20 radio.  I personally need 10 to 12 radios to be water proof and tough and cheap to replace.   I use boofwang uv9 radios as our go to’s with 771 antennas.  We do 20-30miles daily simplex all over our valley for work and play.  Others hate boofwang so it’s really up to you.   Btw my Motorolas and woxouns sit at home. 

Unless you tell us what, exactly you mean by "decent" you're just going to get opinions and people confirming to themselves that they bought the most "decent" radio for them..

But be aware that ALL GMRS radios will require you to spend at least 10 minutes reading the user-manual to learn how to use them... I have owned/used virtually every GMRS brand/model radio on the market and there is no one brand/model that is any easier to figure out than any other..  But honestly, if you can't figure out how to use a Talkpod, then you're going to struggle with anything.  Did the clock on your VCR always flash "12:00" ?

You don't live far from me! I am in Asheville. I have piles of FRS radios as well as some pretty good receivers. I really like my Wouxun KG-905G.

I have no way of testing it's output power but the receiver is excellent. It is a chunky simple HT. Since I live in west Asheville my RF environment is pretty

severe. Pagers and whatnot cause images and interference galore on lesser receivers here where I am. The 905G picks up and copies signals well none of my other radios can. I am heavily biased though being a serious receiver geek. I think it's worth the money...and it sure is fun to listen to on scan.

It stands up well to my rooftop antennas. One is a Comet GP3 I use for 2m and 440 and the other is a Laird FG4503 I use for GMRS to talk to my kids when they are walking around. I don't own and don't plan to get a more powerful GMRS radio and so far it has worked well for me. I plopped a couple of Nagoya 771G antennas on mine and that is a serious upgrade.

Remember though...I am a seriously impaired radio dork. YMMV. That being said, the 905 receiver is very good. It's chunky and a bit heavy though. For something lighter and less pudgy best look elsewhere. It seems to transmit well too. I hope this addled advise helps you.

I/we started my/our GMRS adventure with non-GMRS compliant Baofengs. They exceeded my/our expectations and needs for my group/family and are still very happy with them.

I got by, programming them within proper parameters, albeit non-part 95 compliant. It was/is all good.

But...for 20 bucks or so per boofweng radio, I saw an online pop-up for a WOUXUN.  "wow...Wouxun @ $150.00? FOR 1!!! WTF? 

So I got one. ONE! KG935+...it works...well!

Geez it works. I don't have enough of a collection of HTs to say 'THIS IS THE ONE", but life is simpler, noise is gone, reception is...well...I think I hear Carl Sagan once in awhile. No need to preserve Windows versions or your Commodore 64 and not much else to do for everyday use.

For me, it was well worth the cost to give it a go, and if I didn't need luxuries like a house and food, I would replace all of my/our Baofengs with KG935+

But that's just my inexperienced opinion...hope it helps tho

23 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Unless you tell us what, exactly you mean by "decent" you're just going to get opinions and people confirming to themselves that they bought the most "decent" radio for them..

But be aware that ALL GMRS radios will require you to spend at least 10 minutes reading the user-manual to learn how to use them... I have owned/used virtually every GMRS brand/model radio on the market and there is no one brand/model that is any easier to figure out than any other..  But honestly, if you can't figure out how to use a Talkpod, then you're going to struggle with anything.  Did the clock on your VCR always flash "12:00" ?

I got sick of my video cassettes recorderer flashing me all the time, so i stabbed it in the eyes and now its flashlessy, as for what I meant by "desent" I just wanted a "radio" that would last longer than a couple of hours, I realize I should be more to the point next time, but I have a few things working against me, one being a Marine, I'm used to shiny things and noisy beeps, two, I take 9 medicines some for my heart and some for my cancer, so I get foggy braned sometimes....sorry for that one, and four, I ...uh....wait. I forgot. oh well mustnt been portant.  but seriously, I do like my tid h3 and will probably grab another.  I just thought there was maybe a better one to grab.....Thanks Rubi

11 minutes ago, SierraCharlie said:

I got sick of my video cassettes recorderer flashing me all the time, so i stabbed it in the eyes and now its flashlessy, as for what I meant by "desent" I just wanted a "radio" that would last longer than a couple of hours, I realize I should be more to the point next time, but I have a few things working against me, one being a Marine, I'm used to shiny things and noisy beeps, two, I take 9 medicines some for my heart and some for my cancer, so I get foggy braned sometimes....sorry for that one, and four, I ...uh....wait. I forgot. oh well mustnt been portant.  but seriously, I do like my tid h3 and will probably grab another.  I just thought there was maybe a better one to grab.....Thanks Rubi

The Wouxun kg-805 is a simple to use but decent quality superheterodyne GMRS radio.  Randy has covered it in a couple of video articles, most recently this one: