My new GMRS Tidradio TD HT3

WSDV261

Yep, good little radio.  Good amount of features.  Power output is close to the 5 watt claimed when the battery is at 3 bars.  I have several 3rd party antennas as the OEM antenna is so so.  I've hooked it up to a mobile antenna with an adapter and used them in my truck.  Somewhat inconvenient so I bought a mobile unit for the truck.

I can connect to several repeaters around the area.  7 miles, 17 and 21 without much problem.  I'm in an area that has lots of trees and hills so I can get 1-3 miles simplex between the radios.  The 771G series of antennas will give you better distance at the cost of convenience of the length of the antenna.

Have fun.

While I haven’t used the H3 in my car, I have used the H8 with a Comet antenna and I’m hitting repeaters 30-ish miles away. Great little radio.

My H3 usually stays on my bag or on my person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/12/2024 at 11:22 AM, TrikeRadio said:

I have used mine in my car with a mag mouth antenna and pigtail adapter... and a hand mic. Works great.

Excellent.  I keep debating on buying an actual car radio, but for now, the handheld w/hand mic works just fine.

22 hours ago, WSDT603 said:

Excellent.  I keep debating on buying an actual car radio, but for now, the handheld w/hand mic works just fine.

Yeah it works well, it is just a bit more of a hassle having to take the HT antenna off, hook it up to the roof antenna cable, then figure out where you can mount or place your radio and handset. I suspect that if I decide I like using the radio in the car a lot i would eventually mount a permanent radio in the car but for now I am keeping it inexpensive.

4 hours ago, TrikeRadio said:

How do you like that "upgraded" shoulder mic / hand mic?
I have the older model and it is ... ok... but it feels cheap and people think it sounds bad.

Does that newer model sound better?

Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to compare it to, but it does sound really good.

10 hours ago, TrikeRadio said:

How do you like that "upgraded" shoulder mic / hand mic?
I have the older model and it is ... ok... but it feels cheap and people think it sounds bad.

Does that newer model sound better?

A friend had one on his H8.  I was talking to him and he sounded a bit "muffled" so I had him unplug it and use the built-in mic.  It sounded so much better..much clearer and easier to understand.  He tossed in the round file.

8 minutes ago, WSDD519 said:

A friend had one on his H8.  I was talking to him and he sounded a bit "muffled" so I had him unplug it and use the built-in mic.  It sounded so much better..much clearer and easier to understand.  He tossed in the round file.

Sometimes people drill out the mic hole on external microphones. 

18 minutes ago, WSDD519 said:

any suggestions for a small lapel mic that works better?
Just find one that costs more than the cheap ones from Tidradio?

1 hour ago, TrikeRadio said:

any suggestions for a small lapel mic that works better?
Just find one that costs more than the cheap ones from Tidradio?

I'm sorry, I don't.  I've tried them in the past on different radios (ham) and most were so-so in quality of transmit audio.  Receive audio, on the other hand, was mostly fine. The one my friend had was from Tidradio.  The Icom ID51A I bought from a ham friend has one...but I don't use it.  The commercial stuff (Kenwood, etc.) is much better.

6 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

Sometimes people drill out the mic hole on external microphones. 

I have a waterproof mic for the Baofeng GT-3WP/UV9G and I did this and added cotton inside the mic as well. When tested my report came back that they could not tell the difference between the mic and my Wouxun KG-UV9PX with no mic. I can tell you the mic was horrible before. This was a real improvement.

17 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I have a waterproof mic for the Baofeng GT-3WP/UV9G and I did this and added cotton inside the mic as well. When tested my report came back that they could not tell the difference between the mic and my Wouxun KG-UV9PX with no mic. I can tell you the mic was horrible before. This was a real improvement.

Hmm interesting idea. I guess that means that the mic's problem was maybe not so much the ablity or quality of the hardware it just needed some sound diffusion material. I might open up my hand mic and see if I can put some cotton in there too! THanks

4 minutes ago, TrikeRadio said:

Hmm interesting idea. I guess that means that the mic's problem was maybe not so much the ablity or quality of the hardware it just needed some sound diffusion material. I might open up my hand mic and see if I can put some cotton in there too! THanks

I think that and opening the hole where the mic is allowed for more sound to come in made a difference. I was careful to just open the mic hole so I didn’t mess up the integrity of the waterproof seal around the microphone. I got the cotton idea from a fellow amateur radio operator. I don’t know that my mic for my Icom 2730A even needed any help but I prefer the button style mic clip over the hanging style so when I opened the mic up to install a button mount I put cotton in it as well because it worked so well on the cheap Baofeng mic.  I keep stealing my wife’s cotton for projects 😂

• 2 weeks later...