TD-H3 question

Tip10

Question

In GMRS mode the H3 announces the Channel numbers — “Channel 1” and displays as such “CH-01” or “Channel 23”/“CH-23”

In unlocked mode it announces the Channel numbers — “Channel 1 but displays the channel labels “GMRS1” or “Channel 23”/“Rpt1”

Anybody know if it’s possible to get it to use the channel labels in GMRS mode??

I’d really like to keep it in GMRS mode for DW but set up channels that have the ability for it to show labels that are more descriptive for her — I.e. use “Our” channel first, if I don’t answer then try “Joe’sRptr” or something like that.

Originally thought it was one of the 2 Channel modes but guess not….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Tip10 said:

In GMRS mode the H3 announces the Channel numbers — “Channel 1” and displays as such “CH-01” or “Channel 23”/“CH-23”

In unlocked mode it announces the Channel numbers — “Channel 1 but displays the channel labels “GMRS1” or “Channel 23”/“Rpt1”

Anybody know if it’s possible to get it to use the channel labels in GMRS mode??

I’d really like to keep it in GMRS mode for DW but set up channels that have the ability for it to show labels that are more descriptive for her — I.e. use “Our” channel first, if I don’t answer then try “Joe’sRptr” or something like that.

Originally thought it was one of the 2 Channel modes but guess not….

I’m totally unfamiliar with that radio but  can it be programmed on a computer?  All my radios show names or repeater names ect.  or what not when I program via a computer.  

Not talking about voice - talking about what it displays.

Anyhow, think I have THAT figured out but am beginning to suspect I may have one bad radio of the pair. It doesn’t want to work on the repeater channels - works fine on the others. Programming was cloned from the other radio that works fine.

Both are same firmware…

Not talking about voice - talking about what it displays.
Anyhow, think I have THAT figured out but am beginning to suspect I may have one bad radio of the pair. It doesn’t want to work on the repeater channels - works fine on the others. Programming was cloned from the other radio that works fine.
Both are same firmware…

Definitely have a bad radio - no transmit on repeater channels, other channels work fine. Appears to be a common problem with the H-3….. Amazon taking care of things!

2 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

I have turned off the voice from any radio I have that has that option. Having said that, the radio won't use any words not already in their library. If you name a channel "Bozo 478" the radio will just announce the channel slot that holds your label.

I also have it turned off on all my radios. It is too bad that it doesn’t speak what is typed in. That would be helpful for blind people not to mention I’d love it if it said Bozo 478. 😂

12 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I also have it turned off on all my radios. It is too bad that it doesn’t speak what is typed in. That would be helpful for blind people not to mention I’d love it if it said Bozo 478. 😂

The TYT MD UV380, when loaded with the open source OpenUV380 firmware does an excellent job of speaking menu words that are in its vocabulary, but spells everything else, letter by letter. 
I sent mine to my blind friend after loading the firmware and I don’t remember for sure whether it spells channel names or speaks the channel number.

11 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

I sent mine to my blind friend after loading the firmware and I don’t remember for sure whether it spells channel names or speaks the channel number.

I imagine it would be quite difficult to remember what is programmed and where in one’s radio. I can only think of maybe six repeaters I know by number. 

19 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I imagine it would be quite difficult to remember what is programmed and where in one’s radio. I can only think of maybe six repeaters I know by number. 

Exactly, and some of the codeplugs I’ve done for Maurice have hundreds of channels for DMR and at least 100 analog. 

The TD-H3 is weird in GMRS mode. The channels are basically hard coded into the first channel memories and I don't know if it will let you change them. You could try to edit the channel name field in CHIRP, but be warned it might freak out. It's picky about those channels. If you add another channel (in GMRS mode) below the built-in channels it won't transmit on the newly added channel.

But in unlocked mode you can add more channels and edit to your heart's content.

38 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

The TD-H3 is weird in GMRS mode. The channels are basically hard coded into the first channel memories and I don't know if it will let you change them

In order to get FCC Part 95 type acceptance, all GMRS radios do that.  It's not 'weird', it's how it is supposed to be.

If you add another channel (in GMRS mode) below the built-in channels it won't transmit on the newly added channel.

Kind of sort of…. There are workarounds.
CHIRP defaults all the channels above (below in your terms) the presets to repeater channels up to about 54 (above that they are receive only channels).
With ODMaster you can get normal channels in after the preset ones and they WILL work correctly.

Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

I dunno. I don't understand the rules and my nature is to have a difficult time following them if that is the case. It doesn't make sense to me so I choose radios that behave the way I want.

It’s not necessarily restrictions on the radio but rather on the software to program the radio. FPP bypasses all that.

Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.