Baofeng UV-5G Plus - Programming Issue

WSEH456

I downloaded the latest and greatest version of programming software from Baofeng for the UV-5G Plus.

Opened the software, plugged in the USB cable to the computer and handheld radio, turned on the radio and went to Settings -> Port.  The Port drop down is blank.

Is there a sequence to making the connection, outside of common sense, or do I have a bad programming cable?

Thanks,

Brent - WSEH456

2 hours ago, Raybestos said:

FWIW, this thing has made my life so much better.  

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/xlt-rpc-k1-uf.html

I am not a computer geek of any sort.  I despise them  and yes, I know they make us being here, possible.  These cables make programming any radio that I don't have RT Systems software for, so much more do-able.

Yes, I purchased a FTDI chip USB to K1 cable from Amazon back in 2016 when I first started working with Baofengs and the FTDI chip is easily supported by updated driver software for all operating systems!

I even build a DIY adapter that I found on Miklor that allows it to work with the Radioddity DB20-G and Anytone AT-779UV mini-mobile RJ-45 style radios!

7 hours ago, WRQI663 said:

Miklor had info on how to make your own - I did it for 2 radios, the COTRE CO04d DMR toy radio and one for the UV5G that work great.

Get some UART's and cut an old usb cable, it's easy......

Is that the Cotre model with the LED screen? I got the low end version for $14 before they disappeared from the face of the Earth, and I would love to find the LED version. 

And yes, my FTDI cable works with the Cotre too.