Waiting for fcc update

Guest Tony P

Guest Tony P

Filed and paid for my license, got an email, WSEM996 now just waiting till my call sign makes sense here so I can register, the 8 repeaters that show up that are near me all say disabled by owner, does that mean it’s not in operation?, if so, I’m gonna be a little disappointed I even got my license.

2 hours ago, Guest Tony P said:

Filed and paid for my license, got an email, WSEM996 now just waiting till my call sign makes sense here so I can register, the 8 repeaters that show up that are near me all say disabled by owner, does that mean it’s not in operation?, if so, I’m gonna be a little disappointed I even got my license.

I see two open repeaters in Pittsburg. Observatory Hill 575 and Echo1. I would be telling tall tales if I said I know anything about the Pittsburg area or what other repeaters are near you, but don't give up and assume everything is disabled. Try them first. If the tones are listed on the MyGMRS website, set up your radio for the various repeaters, go outside where you can get a better signal, try talking on them, and if they work, all good. You may need to request access, but at least you'll know which ones work. GMRS is not all just about repeaters. In fact, a lot of people use GMRS for simplex. And by the way, you won't go to jail or anything if you make a quick call using your call sign on a repeater to see if it works. Just make sure you say your call sign so you're not just kerchunking the repeater without identifying yourself. That's bad radio manners.

5 hours ago, Guest Tony P said:

Dropping like flies, aren't they..  Their 'cash' cow dried up..      

5 hours ago, Guest Tony P said:

Where do you see "Disabled by owner"?  I just looked at the GMRS repeater map for the Pittsburgh area and I don't see that on any of them.

Normally "Disabled by owner" means "Don't ask for permission ... it's an open repeater and the tones are provided".

I think maybe you have to be a member to see the repeater database, so try again once your call sign has been uploaded to this site and you can create an account.

They are referring to requests not the repeater. If you are not signed in it says disabled by owner. Although it’s the same information as the forum you need to sign in separately on the map/repeater page. Once you do you’ll not see disabled anymore but rather that the repeaters (ones in question here) are open and the tones are displayed along with the request button. 
This has nothing to do with “repeaters dropping like flies” as it was suggested by @WRUE951. He’s just obsessed with another topic not relevant here. Try and be helpful people. 

Edit: in short, once you are able to register here you’ll see the info you are looking for. 

Edited by WRUU653
Simplified answer

Well gmrs is not really ment for chatting with Strangers on repeaters. It’s really a bring your own friends kinda thing while doing an activity.   I’m sure you read all the rules and what gmrs is really for before getting your license.   Repeaters are just frosting on the cake if you have any.   Again it’s been said before a few times.  If you’re really wanting the radio service to be the hobby ham is where it’s at.  Not gmrs. 

2 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

They are referring to requests not the repeater. If you are not signed in it says disabled by owner. Although it’s the same information as the forum you need to sign in separately on the map/repeater page. Once you do you’ll not see disabled anymore but rather that the repeaters (ones in question here) are open and the tones are displayed along with the request button. 
This has nothing to do with “repeaters dropping like flies” as it was suggested by @WRUE951. He’s just obsessed with another topic not relevant here. Try and be helpful people. 

Edit: in short, once you are able to register here you’ll see the info you are looking for. 

to the contrary,,   'they (linked repeaters) are dropping like flies'  

1 hour ago, WRUE951 said:

to the contrary,,   'they (linked repeaters) are dropping like flies'  

And yet this thread and its question has nothing to do with linked repeaters. Not everything does you know. Also these repeaters appear to be active. So you are just wrong. Most of all you offered no help for the person looking for info, just your obsession with linked repeaters.

40 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

And yet this thread and its question has nothing to do with linked repeaters. Not everything does you know. Also these repeaters appear to be active. So you are just wrong. Most of all you offered no help for the person looking for info, just your obsession with linked repeaters.

Yea,, you read threads like you read FCC rules..   right over your head..  Start with he first post then  work backwards.  LMAO

15 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

Yea,, you read threads like you read FCC rules..   right over your head..  Start with he first post then  work backwards.  LMAO

I can read well enough to see your post are filled with typos. What part of the fcc rules escapes me? Please enlighten me. I’ve never said repeaters should be linked. I just don’t agree with your tactics. You’re an a**.
I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you may have some personal issues. I wish you luck, however I don’t see the benefit of engaging with you anymore. 

Now the poor guy has gone running for the hills, and left his radios behind. It’s like the Hatfields and McCoys sometimes. 

Nope, he’s still here because he needs to keep trying to be superior. Sort of like those guys who drive the really jacked up pickup trucks.

On 9/7/2024 at 8:16 PM, WRUU653 said:

I can read well enough to see your post are filled with typos. What part of the fcc rules escapes me? Please enlighten me. I’ve never said repeaters should be linked. I just don’t agree with your tactics. You’re an a**.
I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you may have some personal issues. I wish you luck, however I don’t see the benefit of engaging with you anymore. 

sore looser..    I knew it   🤣

On 9/7/2024 at 7:53 PM, Hoppyjr said:

“….right over your head….”

From the most arrogant guy on this forum.

1 minute ago, WRUE951 said:

sore looser..    I knew it   🤣

Oh give me a break and a thumbs up...  I'm just trying to beat out Randy

On 9/7/2024 at 9:02 AM, Guest Tony P said:

FYI,, After running a 'report' this morning for current updates..  it does look like many of the Repeater Linking guys are turning off 'Access Request' for their repeater sites.  Meaning they are not accepting request to join their repeater circus..  Also noting that many are toggling from 'Paid Access' to 'Permission Required or Open System'.. Some are even disabling their rogue repeater.