Looking for recommendations on mobile units/setups

WSEK693

There are MANY choices in a mobile radio that you have to consider, so it is difficult to make an actual recommendation on a specific rig.  For mobile, of course, a good antenna, securely mounted, is needed.   I would suggest a trunk lip mount if you don't want to go the permanent (hole!) mount, and  to avoid the mag mounts.    If the antenna is going to be mounted on the side of the vehicle, I would suggest the left side of the vehicle; being farther from   tree branches at the curb, and kids' hands!  As to the actual rig, in a mobile, the  physical size and power level are important.   Since most vehicles don't have much room for a radio you have to consider where and how to mount it.   You also have to run DC power to the rig, and that should come from a heavy (10-12 gauge) cable from the battery.    For low power (10-20 Watts) you might get away with using the 'cigarette lighter' socket on the vehicle, but much better/safer to go right to the battery no matter what the power level.  Radios can vary from about 15 Watts up to the legal maximum of 50 Watts.   For mobile use, something in the 20-40 Watt range would be ideal.   With some you can vary the power as needed for distant and local contacts.

You have much to consider; I would look at on-line reviews of radios from the popular makers, since you are not on the air yet to ask for local opinions!   Some you-tube videos from the more popular posters can also be helpful.    Some makers of mobile type radios to think about would be (in no particular order!)   Wouxun, Midland, Radioddity, Anytone, Alinco,  and Retivis.)   Of course there are others too.  Some models may be made by one maker, but carry different 'brand' names, which can confuse things a bit.    Hope you get some other advice; good luck getting on the air.

I won't tell you because I don't have much experience yet with gmrs mobiles, but I have two ra87s I'm setting up as a local private repeater (at first) and although I haven't used them I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and feel you get for the price, you can buy the repeater "core" set, just two mobiles and the data cable, usually on eBay for about 300 bucks! But I really want to get my hands on a couple few(or more) of the wouxun kg1000g plus mobiles. There are quite a few more affordable than the kg but I hear it's the "creme de la creme" of gmrs mobile units. I just never, NEVER see them on sale like I see almost all the other brands on sale.

You first decision is whether you want a permanent mobile installation or something you can also use as a base station.  If the latter you'll want a radio with a cigarette lighter power source and a mag mount antenna, both of which can be used inside as a base station -- though you'll eventually want a better antenna.

35 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

You first decision is whether you want a permanent mobile installation or something you can also use as a base station.  If the latter you'll want a radio with a cigarette lighter power source and a mag mount antenna, both of which can be used inside as a base station -- though you'll eventually want a better antenna.

Respectfully, I disagree. Although using the cigarette lighter jack is convenient for very temporary use, that also constrains you to a radio that has lower RF output power.  I would simply add PowerPoles to the power cable to make it easy to remove a radio and take it into the house.

On 9/7/2024 at 2:33 PM, WSEK693 said:

Im a new guy to thee gmrs family. I've taught myself everything I know, but I'm looking into a mobile unit for my daily vehicle, looking for recommendations. Also looking for something that can hit repeaters. Thanks for the input in advance

WSEK693 

Pick up an inexpensive 50-watt radio from Amazon.  This will "get your feet wet" without breaking the bank.  You also need to decide on location. If you don't have room for the entire unit, consider a unit with a removable face plate.

As an SUV driver, I went with a lip mount that I mounted on the top of the rear hatch and a good antenna (I went with Comet).

Run a 14-gage wiring harness from the battery to the radio with inline fuses.

I have my radio mounted under the driver's seat and the faceplate on the console between the seats where I can see it very easily. Comet antenna on a Diamond lip mount on the top of the hatch offset from the shark fin antenna. Then in a year or so of use and deciding what I want in my next radio, I can easily upgrade since my wiring harness, face plate mount and antenna are already there.

2 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

Respectfully, I disagree. Although using the cigarette lighter jack is convenient for very temporary use, that also constrains you to a radio that has lower RF output power.  I would simply add PowerPoles to the power cable to make it easy to remove a radio and take it into the house.

Excellent point, Steve.  Thanks!

<- Always learning.