GMRS/HAM base antenna??

WSAM454

Question

I know it would be a compromise, but any suggestions for a base antenna that would cover both the VHF/UHF Ham bands and the UHF Gmrs frequencies, or do I just choose one and put up with the mis-match on the other band(s)?   Looking at the Comet and Diamond sites, I could only find service-specific antennas.  I have only one mounting position available, about a 40-50' run of coax from the shack.

11 answers to this question

On 9/10/2024 at 11:08 AM, dosw said:

The Comet GP3 is also well reviewed for use with GMRS:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/comet-gp-3-analysis.430168/

My GP3 is the antenna I use for distant repeaters. It is my ham radio antenna and is fed via 60ft of LMR600 spec feedline. It's a great 5.1 dbd antenna

Mounted much higher than my Laird 4503 I use for local work, and switching between the two is comical because the GP3 hears far and misses stuff close in that the Laird just hammers in with. It is not great for transmitting on 462 but the match for repeater inputs on 467 is below 2 to one 1.8 or a bit less.

Recommended highly if you already have one up for ham use. For a new install there are many options with more gain. But I will say it is rugged and durable.

Winds here go over 100mph at times and the one piece radome had no issues. Wind load is an issue here so nothing bigger is possible.

That being said, I love mine but unless your a ham it makes little sense. I can easily work some repeaters 100 miles away with it. It works!

Personally, if you have the money get the highest gain Laird you can afford and feed it with heliax. Big stuff over an inch.

I am broke so I use what I can afford. YMMV.

PS Antenna is 2200 feet above sea level in western North Carolina. I am in the mountains. KY, WVA, GA, SC, VA are all easy on 2 meters with this antenna @ 25 watts. Tropo is hilarious and I exploit it to the max when it occurs to the amazement of distant repeater owners. Guys in Ohio were surprised to hear me one morning!

7 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Yea sounds good.  If I only got 100miles from my gmrs set up I’d have issues.  That’s why I use 9 and 12dg gain antennas up high.   200 miles for me is a must

I work 200+ miles on vhf. Topography dictates what can be done...I have worked stations over 200 miles away from high altitude locations here many times. It isn't hard with LOS. For reliable regional work HF rules to a degree that is amazing. Comedy ensues when you bring up 4 repeaters on your HT from high elevations.

I wish winds were low enough here to use bigger antennas. But they are not.

3 hours ago, piggin said:

My GP3 is the antenna I use for distant repeaters. It is my ham radio antenna and is fed via 60ft of LMR600 spec feedline. It's a great 5.1 dbd antenna

Mounted much higher than my Laird 4503 I use for local work, and switching between the two is comical because the GP3 hears far and misses stuff close in that the Laird just hammers in with. It is not great for transmitting on 462 but the match for repeater inputs on 467 is below 2 to one 1.8 or a bit less.

Recommended highly if you already have one up for ham use. For a new install there are many options with more gain. But I will say it is rugged and durable.

Winds here go over 100mph at times and the one piece radome had no issues. Wind load is an issue here so nothing bigger is possible.

That being said, I love mine but unless your a ham it makes little sense. I can easily work some repeaters 100 miles away with it. It works!

Personally, if you have the money get the highest gain Laird you can afford and feed it with heliax. Big stuff over an inch.

I am broke so I use what I can afford. YMMV.

PS Antenna is 2200 feet above sea level in western North Carolina. I am in the mountains. KY, WVA, GA, SC, VA are all easy on 2 meters with this antenna @ 25 watts. Tropo is hilarious and I exploit it to the max when it occurs to the amazement of distant repeater owners. Guys in Ohio were surprised to hear me one morning!

Laird divested of its consumer antenna business, which is now TE Connectivity. At least that's what I found out dealing with their support.