GMRS repeater 160 miles away.

PeterM

No.  I do it all the time.  The one i use is nearly 200miles away.  I takes line of sight and high radiated power from your antenna.   I made the trip with a 20w radio and a 9dbgain Antenna. That set up radiated about 130w.   Some times depending on the weather I would not make the trip very well.   With my new 50w set up with a 12db gain antenna it I’m putting out around 650w radiated power.  I can now make the 200mile trip no problem all day every day no matter the weather 

49 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

No.  I do it all the time.  The one i use is nearly 200miles away.  I takes line of sight and high radiated power from your antenna.   I made the trip with a 20w radio and a 9dbgain Antenna. That set up radiated about 130w.   Some times depending on the weather I would not make the trip very well.   With my new 50w set up with a 12db gain antenna it I’m putting out around 650w radiated power.  I can now make the 200mile trip no problem all day every day no matter the weather 

Impressive.  What antenna are you using?

Antenna location, height and having a clear line of sight between two antennas is what allows farther distances. Openings in band conditions has some effect too. 

I have a couple of GMRS repeaters that are about 50-55 miles away. I can get into one easy and the other only when band conditions are just right. I live in Missouri with plenty of hills and forested areas. Both affect how far I can reach with my 50 watt base station.

On 9/16/2024 at 9:18 AM, PeterM said:

is it illegal for me to use the GMRS repeater 160 miles away from it?

YES! and the FCC has really been cracking-down and issuing more fines lately.  If you want to talk that far you should get a H.A.M. license, but if you are willing to take the risk of a major fine, go for it.

On 9/16/2024 at 12:18 PM, PeterM said:

I live near Elgin, IL, and I overheard a conversation on the Devil's Head repeater 160 miles away. 

I want to ask: is it illegal for me to use the GMRS repeater 160 miles away from it?

Thanks!
WRYP550

Not at all.

Just remember just because you can hear it doesn't mean you can access it.  But @WRXP381 and @WRYZ926 nailed it.

14 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

YES! and the FCC has really been cracking-down and issuing more fines lately.  If you want to talk that far you should get a H.A.M. license, but if you are willing to take the risk of a major fine, go for it.

I'm planning to get my HAM license sometime soon, anyway, haha.

That repeater is only about 118 miles from you, not 160 FYI and I frequently hear it in Montgomery, IL as well just south of you primarily during band openings.

But yeah, use it!  OffRoaderX is Randy from the "NotaRubicon" Youtube channel.  He's a well known master troll!  Seriously though, he's freaking hilarious and you should watch his videos and be amused!!! :)

1 hour ago, JB007Rules said:

That repeater is only about 118 miles from you, not 160 FYI and I frequently hear it in Montgomery, IL as well just south of you primarily during band openings.

But yeah, use it!  OffRoaderX is Randy from the "NotaRubicon" Youtube channel.  He's a well known master troll!  Seriously though, he's freaking hilarious and you should watch his videos and be amused!!! :)

Gonna have to second and third that! I absolutely enjoy his content, because I'm a human who knows how to laugh, even at myself! Give him a few views at least!

1 hour ago, KevinJ said:

Gonna have to second and third that! I absolutely enjoy his content, because I'm a human who knows how to laugh, even at myself! Give him a few views at least!

3 hours ago, JB007Rules said:

I actually started to watch him two years ago when I got my Beofeng (Or how he calls it "Boofwang") UV-5r