Page for Mr. Hezbollah!

SteveShannon

First Hezbollah, a terrorist organization, fears their cell phones are compromised.

So, they change over to pagers.  3000 people are wounded and 10-12 killed when they simultaneously explode.

Then they change over to “walkie talkies” that they bought because of earlier concerns about secure communications and attend the funerals for people who were killed.

Their walkie talkies explode with even more force.

I wonder what their next line of backup communications is.  They’ve got to be nervous by now.

Hummmm.....

The radio looks suspiciously like the IC-V85. 

https://rigreference.com/storage/manuals/icom/IC-V85_ham_brochure.pdf--5baad248bbbf77.42163411.pdf

https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/productManual/IC-V85.pdf

The tag isn't that readable but it looks like the model number is IC-XXX, a 3 character model number.

The antenna port is on the side shown in the photo. Plus it seems to be a BNC type which is only on much older radios. I'm guessing the top part of the antenna is broken off leaving just the base screwed on to the BNC connector.

The rubber side port cover looks the same. You can just make out two tiny nubs that fit into the two pin connector on the side. Also the strap holding is the same style.

There is a notch in the chassis that likely mates up with the battery pack connections. Seems to be similar too. 

All I can say is it looks close. Look at the diagrams in the user manual and you'll see other similarity. 

Anybody have a better guess?

39 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Hummmm.....

The radio looks suspiciously like the IC-V85. 

https://rigreference.com/storage/manuals/icom/IC-V85_ham_brochure.pdf--5baad248bbbf77.42163411.pdf

https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/productManual/IC-V85.pdf

The tag isn't that readable but it looks like the model number is IC-XXX, a 3 character model number.

The antenna port is on the side shown in the photo. Plus it seems to be a BNC type which is only on much older radios. I'm guessing the top part of the antenna is broken off leaving just the base screwed on to the BNC connector.

The rubber side port cover looks the same. You can just make out two tiny nubs that fit into the two pin connector on the side. Also the strap holding is the same style.

There is a notch in the chassis that likely mates up with the battery pack connections. Seems to be similar too. 

All I can say is it looks close. Look at the diagrams in the user manual and you'll see other similarity. 

Anybody have a better guess?

I don't have a better idea, but the IC-V85 looks too short and squat to me.

10 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

That looks right and the IC-V82 has the option of being converted to digital which would make it addressable. 

However in one photo the front doesn’t match the brochure. Of course there is nothing saying they are all using the same model. 

I did find a source where some image processing was done on the label to get a better view of the model number.

image.thumb.jpeg.996713937cdd4e96859c4407ce1a6221.jpeg

5 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

Knowing what I do now about exploding HTs. I don't think I'll be seeking them out on the used market. Can't be too careful.

Oops. I just purchased a second Icom from a seller in the Middle East. Now at least I have two identical radios. The digital mode is almost unheard of here. It’s widely used in Europe.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/500-ic-f3162dt-front-and-back-sidepng/

I shamelessly copied this from a Yahoo! article this morning. 

“I can guarantee you they were not our products,” said Ray Novak, a senior sales manager for Icom’s amateur radio division, in an interview Wednesday at a trade show in Providence, Rhode Island. Novak said Icom introduced the V-82 model more than two decades ago and it has long since been discontinued. It was designed for amateur radio operators and for use in social or emergency communications, including by people tracking tornadoes or hurricanes".

3 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I shamelessly copied this from a Yahoo! article this morning. 

“I can guarantee you they were not our products,” said Ray Novak, a senior sales manager for Icom’s amateur radio division, in an interview Wednesday at a trade show in Providence, Rhode Island. Novak said Icom introduced the V-82 model more than two decades ago and it has long since been discontinued. It was designed for amateur radio operators and for use in social or emergency communications, including by people tracking tornadoes or hurricanes".

Could be that somebody found a stash of NOS, new old stock, radios and sold them cheap. So it could still be the real product. 

Stuff like this shows up frequently on the Internet for sale. The two dPMR Icom radios I just purchased were exactly that, NOS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176042045136?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D273572%26meid%3Dfe82695556ef49c49ba4de76ff1ad7d7%26pid%3D101949%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D176042045136%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2WithMLRV6RankerPricelessTop30Features%26brand%3DIcom&_trksid=p4375194.c101949.m162918&_trkparms=parentrq%3A0b1caf4e1920aab15d09d582ffffdf46|pageci%3A2410f570-76a4-11ef-a163-4a97914dfa9b|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage

So if these are really clone rip-offs of Icom's design, as was suggested, have these shown up anywhere else in the world?

Last possibility is the Israelis had a stock of these in a warehouse they were never going to use and heard that Hezbollah was in the market for buying cheap two-way radios.  So, they doctored them up a bit and sold them through a middle man to hide the source.