Versus Mobile units (Open to other options)

WQWI871

Anyone know if the 9800 or 7800 has an Ani / PTT ID or a roger beep to enable for the cross band? It does have the slight not so often noise, but, I was looking for something more adequate. The manual didn't specify much about the cross band.

Edit: Okay, seems the TYT software offers settings that Chirp doesn't, including Ani and PTT ID. For some reason when I read from the radio, though, my computer gets that blue screen and restarts. I was able to read for once, though.

By the way, there was / is something underneath the display on arrival. It resembles glue, tape or adhesive. I didn't want to go through an exchange if the radio seems fine. Should I remove the face and wipe it off or leave it be? Also, sorry for asking here, it just didn't seem technical enough to deserve It's own topic.

I was on a local repeater earlier. I transmitted and it just hung their for a while. I didn't realize it until I transmitted again. Eh, hope I didn't annoy them. :(  All was fine after I restarted it a couple times (and tested on simplex before I tried on the repeater again) they could hear me fine, but, it just kept transmitting. That was the first and only time so far it happened.

I tested out the crossband today. I got more distance out than I expected, though, not quite where I need it to be to be more useful. I could hear the other peer whom was closer to it, but, they couldn't hear me past a certain point. Silly me for letting them use my higher power handheld, though. I think that was unnecessary and perhaps I were better to use it. Still exciting. I'll ponder what I could do just for a little more range, I almost made it to the desired area.

Edit: Buytwowayradios does advertise FM Radio as one of the features. I really don't see anything, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I question if I received a refurbished unit. Aside from that tape underneath the screen, I've been having mic issues. The transmit hung up twice on someones repeater, and, the keys have either been multi pressing or using the wrong function. PS, does anyone know how I can slightly increase the cross repeater without increasing the antenna height? Maybe a counterpoise somewhere? The range is almost where I need it to be, not very far off.

Guest spd641

The "digital mode" of C4FM is only useful if there's a Fusion system in your area of operations. Such are few and far between in the U.S. and Canada.

Not necessarily,Fusion has option to use it with Raspberry pi and other sources that will get you into world wide rooms and there more digital repeaters in the US than you think...William

Not necessarily,Fusion has option to use it with Raspberry pi and other sources that will get you into world wide rooms and there more digital repeaters in the US than you think...William

I don't care for pi much except key lime, but, it has to be more of a cheesecake type than custard. I hate custard, except frozen custard. But, I love cheesecake. Blackberry, blackcurrent and pear pi is okay. Raspberry pi sounds nice, but, I never tried it.

Anywho, I did consider trying one of those Baofeng DM-5R's, because I'd like to play around with digital a bit, but, from all the sources I've checked, it doesn't seem to communicate with other digital radios. It can receive, but, not  be heard. Some radios may receive the signal from it, but, not decode it. I considered one of the TYT MD's, but, the only ones in my budget are single band. I don't like being limited to one band, and, the dual band version is too much for me. There are quite a few digital repeaters around, especially echolink (I don't mean to refer echolink as digital, I know) Regarding a digital mobile, though, those seem to be a bit pricey for me for the need. I usually try to get the cheapest but best value I can without being too cheap in quality.

Now run the same search as was done for "DMR repeaters" in the US and I believe you'll find that there are quite a few more than Fusion. Most all of the Fusion repeaters that have been sold at a significant discount are actually running in pure analog mode.

However, with the advent of the RF Shark, it is finally possible to connect to all of the existing digital modes from any digital HT, so my original point is moot anyway... ;)

Anywho, I did consider trying one of those Baofeng DM-5R's, because I'd like to play around with digital a bit, but, from all the sources I've checked, it doesn't seem to communicate with other digital radios.

I advise to stay away from the DM-5R entirely. I had one for several days and ran it though extensive tests only to find that it is in no way compatible with any mode other than Tier 1, or a bastardized version of Tier 2 where it uses both time slots simultaneously.

The only radios they are fully compatible with are themselves. Using them however will seriously cause interference with any other local operators and/or repeaters.

I advise to stay away from the DM-5R entirely. I had one for several days and ran it though extensive tests only to find that it is in no way compatible with any mode other than Tier 1, or a bastardized version of Tier 2 where it uses both time slots simultaneously.

The only radios they are fully compatible with are themselves. Using them however will seriously cause interference with any other local operators and/or repeaters.

Yeah. A couple sources mentioned that there was no issue using analog mode on the DM-5R, though.