GMRS and helmets

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_my3ke_*

Guest_my3ke_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

While I ponder joining the forum because I seem to be in the bubble pack league, I was wondering if anybody has ever tried using GMRS radios with helmets?  In my case, I'm thinking of use on a motorcycle, but it could be useful information for ATV users and the like.  Seems to me this could be a useful solution for folks over the expensive bluetooth communicators that are out there.  

Yes, I have a license.  Yes I'm a noob when it comes to GMRS.

Thanks for your time,

my3ke

#2 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

While I ponder joining the forum because I seem to be in the bubble pack league, I was wondering if anybody has ever tried using GMRS radios with helmets? In my case, I'm thinking of use on a motorcycle, but it could be useful information for ATV users and the like. Seems to me this could be a useful solution for folks over the expensive bluetooth communicators that are out there.

Yes, I have a license. Yes I'm a noob when it comes to GMRS.

Thanks for your time,
my3ke

There are all kinds of helmet radio solutions for commercial gear as well as GMRS. Just look around net a bit. Racing teams and motorcycle folks use them a lot.

A typical race car has a mobile radio and a helmet mic and earphones plus a remote PTT button on the steering wheel. Motorcycle setups are similar but with a PTT button on the handle bars. On motorcycles, you have the option of using an HT or a mobile. I use a similar setup, but with an NFL style headset with an HT on my belt for EMS field operations.

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#3 XSevenSonata

XSevenSonata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

I use GMRS with helmets (and the few times I'm simply not using the helmet) I've never used a wireless or bluetooth setup, however, except with mobile phones.

#4 Guest_Peter_*

Guest_Peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#5 Guest_my3ke_*

Guest_my3ke_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

Thanks to all, I appreciate your time and help.  I've found a few options for the Midland T71 radios I have.  A bit more research and I may be able to find a solution.  Reading through the forum spoke of other HT units that seemed adaptable for my use as well.  The Btech GMRS V1 could be even more useful with it's scanner option and FM radio.  Got to cogitate on that one a bit.

my3ke

#6 mls515

mls515

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCarney Twp, IA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQZG517

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...ecAAOSw5UZY9Fn8

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic