Tram 1491 weatherproofing

mainehazmt

Question

I’m looking for opinions. In this pictured is one of the 2 connections on a Tram 1491. I wish to improve on keeping the moisture out and be easy to take apart. My idea is anti seize on the threaded portion and a heat shrink tubing over joint plus quality tape over that. What are your thoughts. As I reAlly only want to climb the tower one time and the anti seize is a just in case. I have to go back up. Thanks in advance. Just realized I posted 2 male ends but you got the idea. It is a compression type fitting with a silicon compression gasket

post-73-0-45550800-1515078707_thumb.jpeg

6 answers to this question

When I assembled my Comet mono-band 70cm antenna, I used anti-seize on the threads, tightened the connection firmly, then wrapped in 3m electrical tape, followed by a layer of coax-seal, then for the finish, put a nice bit of heat-shrink tubing over the entire junction.

Perhaps a bit of overkill, but seeing as how I was paying someone else to install the antenna on the steep roof of my house, wanted to protect it as well as I possibly could.

At sixty-nine I'm barely able to walk a straight line on a flat surface. My days of tower climbing and roof-running are barely visible in my rear view mirror. :wacko:

Been using this for a long time, good stuff. And I'm very fussy about my equipment. Every bolt I take out on my car I apply Never Seez, big fan of it. But on my CB, GMRS and electronic connections I use the NO-OX-ID conductive grease.

Grease is called NO-OX-ID from Sanchem Inc, 1600 S Canal St. Chicago, IL. 60616 312-733-6100

www.sanchem.com

Been using this for a long time, good stuff. And I'm very fussy about my equipment. Every bolt I take out on my car I apply Never Seez, big fan of it. But on my CB, GMRS and electronic connections I use the NO-OX-ID conductive grease.

Grease is called NO-OX-ID from Sanchem Inc, 1600 S Canal St. Chicago, IL. 60616 312-733-6100

www.sanchem.com

Ah but with such a short space between the outside threads and the interior wire connection might the possibility exist that it might give some connection to the outside where the dielectric grease might be better as it is non conductive?