MURS pre programmed equipment

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1446 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Jeremy - if you look closely at 95.135 is says that no station shall transmit with an RF output power of more than 50 watts.

That is NOT ERP, but the raw RF coming out of the connector at the back of a repeater or a moble type radio.  The Commission couldn't care less about ANTENNA GAIN and ERP for a repeater or mobile type radio.  One of the systems I use each occasionally each year has a 50 watt output from the repeater into 175 feet of Andrew hardline to a stacked vertical array with 11.9 dbd gain... which is just under 600 watts taking line loss into consideration. That system is on an elevation 210 feet above average terrain and the tower is another 168 feet. It has a service diameter of over 100 miles.

• Logan5 likes this

#42 JeremyM

JeremyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNW Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQI726
  • Ham Callsign:K4TTL

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Oh wow! Wish I had access to terrain like that!

Jeremy
K4TTL
WQQI726

#43 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1446 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

Oh wow! Wish I had access to terrain like that!

Actually you do - Simply move to northern Alabama.... :lol: :rolleyes: :wacko:

• mainehazmt likes this

#44 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:PM me
  • Ham Callsign:PM me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

The challege with Wouxun and Beofang radios might be the odd bandwidth for MURS. MURS uses 11.25 and 20 kHz. Most radio service in the same region (2m) is 12.5 or 25 kHz. Has anyone tested one of these radios with a MURS specific radio listening? What does it sound like? I am curious how it sounds when a radio is transmitting slightly over the bandwidth allowance.

#45 HARRY HENDERSON

HARRY HENDERSON

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:IDOHAVE

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Pastor Gary

I so far don't see any mention of the Motorola GP300 vhf's, I have 3 myself programmed for the MURS band and they work great

around here. But I'm in a quite spot  in northern Illinois.

Eagle Base. :D

#46 HARRY HENDERSON

HARRY HENDERSON

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Actually you do - Simply move to northern Alabama.... :lol: :rolleyes: :wacko:

You mean like Mt. Chehaw state park purr fect place for a big antenna or MURS repeater.

#47 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1446 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:38 AM

Ron - Thanks for the reminder on the Motorola equipment. :)

Anyone else using these?

PastorGary -
Senior Moderator

MyGMRS Forums.

Weather postings Copyrighted  ©  TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#48 mcp1810

mcp1810

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQCW599
  • Ham Callsign:KF5GWN

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

I have the two wide band freqs in a Motorola Systems Saber on low power.  I also have National Weather and some of the local two meter stuff in it.

Every now and then on E-bay you can find low powered (H33 series) two channel Motorola HT600s or P200s

#49 PICrow

PICrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQTM884

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

I am in Northern Maine, where the logging trucks all use the MURS frequencies. Each road maintained by the Maine North Woods has signage which directs you which MURS channel to use. "4 wheelers" or road users such as myself are required to announce their location as a matter of safety. I was seeking a good quality MURS handheld for this purpose; I've ordered the Ritron PT 150M which operates exclusively on the MURS channels. It looks like a good solid unit and I like that it is American made. I am waiting for it to arrive, does anyone have experience with this model?

#50 HARRY HENDERSON

HARRY HENDERSON

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

PICrow

I personally have had good results with my Motorola gp 350 and 300 vhf series radios,

no experience with Ritron.

• PICrow likes this

#51 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1446 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

I am in Northern Maine, where the logging trucks all use the MURS frequencies. Each road maintained by the Maine North Woods has signage which directs you which MURS channel to use. "4 wheelers" or road users such as myself are required to announce their location as a matter of safety. I was seeking a good quality MURS handheld for this purpose; I've ordered the Ritron PT 150M which operates exclusively on the MURS channels. It looks like a good solid unit and I like that it is American made. I am waiting for it to arrive, does anyone have experience with this model?

I'm sure that the Riton users will get to your question soon.

In the mean time, Joseph, welcome to the forum.

• PICrow likes this

PastorGary -
Senior Moderator

MyGMRS Forums.

Weather postings Copyrighted  ©  TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#52 PICrow

PICrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQTM884

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thanks PastorGary, very interesting threads here. Great site.

#53 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1446 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

:)

#54 HARRY HENDERSON

HARRY HENDERSON

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

M/ACOM Panther 605m mobiles fall into this group, they are high low power computer programmable

for 5 watt low and 20 watt high power. I program each individual channel twice for close and long

distance mobile use with the Harris software I bought. TAIT 2020 is the same radio and its software is

just for that radio. I have both the uhf and vhf models of the 605m and they both work great.

#55 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1446 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Anyone here have experience with the Motorola RDM2080D series MURS dedicated radios recently?  Looks a little pricey as compared to some...

#56 mellowcream

mellowcream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXL580
  • Ham Callsign:KE3PDO

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

I would recommend these: http://www.amazon.co...T/dp/B0002XRPNA I have a buddy who has four and loves them

#57 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Nearly all of the Ritron VHF radios are MURS accepted. Even their little intercoms are type accepted for Part 95A and Part 95D operations (as well as Part 90). 

The Motorola VX series are pre-programmed with MURS frequencies as some of the channels.

Motorola RDM series as well.

GMRS ERP is never listed. Just transmit power. The 675 system in Lubbock, it runs 50W right out of the transmitter, looses about 1/2 dB going through the duplexer and then goes up to the tower mast about 80 ft in 1-1/4" hard line to a DB420 that is mounted roughly 360 ft up. ERP through that (including line loss and loss through the duplexer) is around 615W...if only we had put a DB413 up there instead. It only talks for about 40 miles (due to the fact it's perfectly flat up here).

Path loss is just about insane to begin with. Low band, high band, UHF...higher frequencies means more practical gain antennas. Remember, NASA sent video nearly a quarter million miles from the moon using about 1.7W (UHF).

#58 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLong Island
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask Me
  • Ham Callsign:Ask Me

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

"Nearly all of the Ritron VHF radios are MURS accepted. Even their little intercoms are type accepted for Part 95A and Part 95D operations (as well as Part 90)."

Ritron is the only company that I know of that applies for 95A acceptance from the get go. 

#59 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

"Nearly all of the Ritron VHF radios are MURS accepted. Even their little intercoms are type accepted for Part 95A and Part 95D operations (as well as Part 90)."

Ritron is the only company that I know of that applies for 95A acceptance from the get go.

Kenwood. Most UHF analog Kenwood gear is 90/95A. 2 out of 3 of their current analog UHF mobiles are 90/95A.

#60 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

I didn't do much research, but thought I would ask aloud, with the MURS rules for 2 watts, I wonder how many licensed and non licensed radios are being used on .570 and .600 at wideband and 5 watts simply because they were grandfathered on the freqs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users