Ritron Patriot RRX-450

Billy

Question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140944502597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I purchased this last night.   Although JohnE has the best repeater systems around I wanted this for an emergency backup to be operated from my house.   I did all the coverage predications and it looks like 25 Watts would cover my local area for HT service with my current antenna setup. 

I have a few Ritron radios and in addition to them all being Part 95 accepted they are work horses.  I have the software and cable already to program the radio so that should be a snap.  The built in controller does hang time, Morse ID and a few other tricks.    It also has its own power supply and DC battery backup charger.  My only issue is going to be tuning the duplexer once I reprogram it. 

So I was wondering if anybody knows a good place to take it and have the duplexer retuned for the GMRS pair (looks like 725 is available locally).   Thanks in advance for any information.  Bill WQOV721

I should have added that I am in Babylon, Long Island.

Package came tonight, on stoop as usual.   Powers up fine, fan is a little noisy but blows hard.   I have a N adapter coming tommorrow so I have to wait to test it.  Also found out that my programming cable is the wrong one, I have the 2.5mm and the jack is a 3.5mm.  Appartently they have two kinds in the front, like usual mine is the wrong one.  Ordered the right one as well.  The Software is good that I have so that helps. 

There are two options from what I can see for the fan, on all the time and on transmit only so I will have to play with that when I get a chance.  Gonna clean it up a bit and wait on my parts to give it a good test as is.  It is set on 451.xxx so duplexer tuning is a must.  Once I get all my pieces I will program it up and take you up on that offer.  Thanks, Bill

P.S.  Speaking of programming, anyone have any suggestion on a good hang time.  Also for the morse ID, what is the legal interval.  I am going to name it and not broadcast it under my license.   WB725NY has a good ring to it.  Again, Thanks

Bill - Most of the GMRS repeaters in my general area have a two second hang time and so do most of the business and law enforcement systems close by. That seems to be fairly standard - at least around here.  As I understand it, that saves energy and allows slightly cooler overall operation than having a 6 to 10 second hang time.

like Gary said 2-3 seconds is farly standard. as for the fan if it can be set themally or on TX only that would be the better option. you extend the life of the fan and if the unit is in a controlled enviorment it doesn't need to be on all the time. both of mine are set at 1.5 sec hang and thermal on the fans. call sign interval is 30 min. I know on the commercial side call sign has to go out at least once an hr most are set to 15 min intervals though.

Commercial is every 15 minutes of use, and public safety is every hour of use. Most run the ID without PL, so the users don't hear it. 

My Zetron is set to do that, I don't really need to ID it (can do it in voice when I use it, and usually do anyway out of habit), but it was an option so I set it up. 

I have my hang timer at 5 seconds. We do some family farm stuff, and I find the comms to be smoother if the repeater stays on in between users in conversation. I used to run 2 seconds on my old setup, but with the MTR2000...at 50 watts, it don't even know you did anything....they way these are made you could dead key it for 3 days and it would be no big deal. The industry default from my experience is 2 seconds. 

Put the repeater on the antenna last night for a few minutes to test on the factory frequencies.   Worked great, clear sharp audio.  Seems like a smooth machine.   Looks like the power setting is at 12 Watts.   From what I have read the machine has a 30 Watt amp to give a boost over the entry level 8 watts.  I don't know what the programs power increments are yet I need the cable for that, manual does not say, just says adjustable up to 30.   The machine is supposed to be 50% duty cycle at the full 30.   Thinking something in the 20-25 watt range might keep it healthy. 

There is definately a fan option for TX only, I am going to go with that.  I will also take the 1.5-2 second hang time advice.   Time out timer is factory set at 3 minutes, any input on that would also be appreciated. 

Good news for certain. 

The time out timer is a feature that is provided in case an operator sits on the mobile mic and renders the repeater essentially useless until the idiot gets his butt off the mic.  I personally set up my own private systems with the MOBILES timed out - not the repeater, but in a shared system where many different users and programmers are involved, you may wish to use that feature to protect the output stage.

Thanks Gary, I do the same with all my radios after killing an HT that was transmitting from my workbag.  Darn nice HT I killed.  But like you say, It is not me that I am concerned about.   I don't think the factory 3 minutes is a bad number, if you cannot say it in 3 minutes your going to have to let it drop.  The programming cable did not come today, just the Ritron mic.  So needless to say I just got done playing with that, works good, audio is very nice so far.  Bill

Just wanted to throw in a quick update.  Programming cable came and have been able to set the fan, ID and hang time.  Worked really smooth at the current freq setting.   I am getting an error beep from the machine at the GMRS frequencies.  A quick call to Ritron and the Tech sent me some skematics and adjusting information for the VOC voltage, amp and duplexer (good guys BTW, not the first time they took the time to expalain things).   I am gonna open it up tommorrow and see how easy it looks in reality. 

I just thought of a scene from Fast Times at Ridgement High.  "We can fix it, my dad has a awesome set of tools".  Bill

Thanks Logan, I was able to adust the VCO voltage on the RX/TX and the repeater is functioning fine.  I did take a stab at tuning the duplexer using the brail method.  I felt my way around and wound up nowhere  Going to have to have a pro look at it and tune it.  So all is good for now.  I will update as it comes together.  Bill

I also wish I could tune the duplexers, would be nice when changing freq's. keep in mind, I found GMRSoutlet here on the site and they only charge 45bucks and that includes the return shipping. you have to pay to ship it to them. so call it 55 dollars. not bad in my mind.

Got an update from Ritron today about the repeater.  I is all alligned and tuned.  They replaced the fan that I thought was too noisey, appartently it was on its way out.  The tech was able to get 20 Watts out of the duplexer which he said should give me a little better than 65% duty cycle.  It needed a few upgrades that they do automatically upon service which was nice.  So hopefully I will get a package in the mail next week and be up and running. 

Good to hear, Bill. I managed to find a local HAM to tune my duplexer, dropped it off last Saturday. he does it free if for a good cause, I am meeting him at the local Radio shop tomorrow to pick it up. he determined our GMRS repeater was a good cause. I am going to keep it  "Permission only"  to minimize abuse. However anyone that uses this site is welcome to ask permission on the air, if your in ever in the area, as i am usually listening to both repeaters.

Also, for Pastor Gary, I have had a request from a local user through myGMRS.com and I have replied to the request both times. I am not sure this person is getting my permission granted reply's to his request. this person is one of the few users that does not post his call sign in his profile. I looked so I could contact him directly, looks like only 5 or 6 users have no call sign posted.

James - I wish I could directly assist in that request, but only Rich D. can deal with things at the main repeater info site.

You can contact Rich D.  direct through the Private Messaging here in the Forum under his - 

WQEJ577

username.  That would be the quickest way to reach him at this time.

Thanks.

P-G

==========

Bill, good to hear.

Logan - glad you got a free tune. I always check for a call sign when someone asks to use either of my machines. I also do a direct FCC search even though Rich has it linked on here I know in my searches I have come up w/one or two that don't exist.

direct FCC search link.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=qT2vJsQGDv2mn0vZ1Z1W4n38hDPVKJQ9lvqLGVJNhWwwCTJfJ1Sz!740247892!NONE

Thanks for that link, JohnE, That will come in handy. I just got in from Local "Ham Shack" with the re-tuned duplexer, he said it was way off. in other words, the E-bay seller changed the freq. on the radios, but not the duplexer. well all it really cost me was time. I couldn't even give the old HAM Beer money. anyway, i am about to hook it up. wish me luck. lol

Guest spd641

Thanks for that link, JohnE, That will come in handy. I just got in from Local "Ham Shack" with the re-tuned duplexer, he said it was way off. in other words, the E-bay seller changed the freq. on the radios, but not the duplexer. well all it really cost me was time. I couldn't even give the old HAM Beer money. anyway, i am about to hook it up. wish me luck. lol

I hate that and sorry it happened to you like it did me.I guess we all live and learn from our mistakes and I will not make that one again,especially from that eBay seller ...William

All hooked up and it's working flawlessly, makes a huge difference when the duplexer is tuned correctly. However I should have chosen a freq. further away from 462.600, when I key up either repeater they cross signals because they are too close, and too close. so I plan to send the Motorola 462.675 to my brother and his Son. as a mobile repeater.  I will obtain something super fancy one day when I can afford it.

WB725NY is up and running.  On my meter I have 25 Watts to the antenna, better than what I had hoped for.  I didn't want to say anything prior to this out of fear that I may jynx myself but I have to send praise to the Ritron folks.

They took in my machine after I had tried to align it and broke a VCO adjustment Pot.  So I sent the entire radio to them for alignment, tuning of the duplexer and to have it set back to wide band.    The technician at Ritron replaced the pot as an upgrade, they replaced the noisy fan with a very quiet new one, tuned the duplexer and set the transmit from 12 Watts to 25 (he said 20 so I will say my meter may be off).  As of now it is running and sounding great for a total of $92.75 which includes the cost of shipping back to me.  Good Job Ritron.   Nice to see a company such as this. 

I will start some propogation testing as time allows and adjust the maping on this site accordingly.  Bill

And just if anyone is looking for a innexpensive repeater, with this work I am $325 into it.   That doesn't count JohnE's time which is priceless.