You just got your GMRS license, now you want your own repeater?

coryb27

31 minutes ago, WSAH452 said:

I'm New to all of this 
Me and a few Friends Go camping in and around the Tri-State and there are Repeaters in nearby towns But we get weak signals I figured if they made a portable How far of a range it would extend 

All depends on location. Same with every repeater. I've posted before on my repeater in my Motorhome. Was a GR1225 and switched to the RT97 before we sold it. Worked for a good mile around the camper with some places more. At the wide open race tracks it worked perfect for our use. While camping in the woods it covered most of the campgrounds we were at. If I were camping with that kit I'd grab a 15" antenna cable and stick in on a 10' pole and be done. 

3 hours ago, gortex2 said:

All depends on location. Same with every repeater. I've posted before on my repeater in my Motorhome. Was a GR1225 and switched to the RT97 before we sold it. Worked for a good mile around the camper with some places more. At the wide open race tracks it worked perfect for our use. While camping in the woods it covered most of the campgrounds we were at. If I were camping with that kit I'd grab a 15" antenna cable and stick in on a 10' pole and be done. 

I've heard Mixed reviews on the Revis 97s mostly good and a few not so good 
But for what I want to use it for I think it would be perfect Especially if the Kit itself is less than $500

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 7:35 PM, Santiam said:

I really like my RT97..Works great for what I need, which is occasional use in the mountains for communications. I can get about a 30 mile circle which is more than enough for my needs. 

antenna1.jpg

Some people on here don't recognize that their particular situation doesn't extrapolate evenly over the country.. Yes, you would like to have your own repeater, and it looks like you do for your needs. nice work..

• 1 month later...