Looking for a new antenna for my MTX115

TonyAldo

Question

I've finally went out and got my self a starter radio. But looking at that tiny antenna they ship with the radio .. I feel the need to upgrade. I'm going to go with the Midland NMO mag mount. But I'm not sure what antenna to go with. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

NP... I'm a fan of Diamond antennas myself. Them and MFJ... I have had good luck. I seem to have the best luck with stainless steel, though.

I still have and use a Diamond dual-band antenna that has been exposed to 22 NW Indiana winters and is still working just fine. I also have a Laird UHF that's survived 13 NW Indiana winters so far. SWR on both antennas remains < 1.2:1 which I consider acceptable.

I still have and use a Diamond dual-band antenna that has been exposed to 22 NW Indiana winters and is still working just fine. I also have a Laird UHF that's survived 13 NW Indiana winters so far. SWR on both antennas remains < 1.2:1 which I consider acceptable.

Same here.  I have had an original X50a on my roof for almost 18 years now, still with the original feed line, too.  Still dead perfect match.  The Virginia winters are not as bad as where you are, but still... Got to love em'.

I also recommend moving away from UHF connectors. I've started this transition and while it is painful at first, not having to deal with degrading connections in harsh weather is a huge plus in my book. I used delectric grease STUF on the UHF connectors, but it is always an extra (messy) step and when you take them apart you usually have to clean them and reapply. So I really advice to get N connectors if you can.

G.