Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBZ532
  • Ham Callsign:KC8LDO

Posted 09 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

In fact since it has a large cross-sectional area, it probably has enough bandwidth to actually be a full quarterwave electrically.

I built a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna using some stiff bus wire and a PCB style BNC connector after doing some simulations with EZNEC to check the bandwidth. The elements were just soldered on. The bandwidth I achieved was 430 to 470 MHz with an SWR of 1.6 or less. The SWR dropped to around 1.1 or so around 450 MHz. I wanted a cheap antenna to use at the Dayton Hamvention good for Ham and GMRS/FRS. I mounted it on top of a baseball cap while keeping the power at 1 watt or less. The elements were only 6 inches long and held it on top using a zip tie through the fabric. Worked far better than the rubber duck antenna with the radio hanging on my belt because the antenna was up in the clear.

I tried several of those clip-on type antennas where you use an HT antenna on them and clipped to a hat etc. I see a lot of people using them. None were worth the effort that I tried. Really poor match when I checked them.

• Elkhunter521 and RCM like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users