Antenna on truck box?

citizensoldier16

Question

I’m currently running a Midland mxt115 in my truck and am using the stock mag mount antenna which is about 6” long.

I’ve considered moving up to a longer 6dB gain antenna but I don’t want to drill holes in my roof to mount it. I have my CB antenna mounted on the side of my tool box using a right angle bracket. I’ve got my SWR on the CB down to about 1:1.1 with that setup.

Would I gain anything from moving up to the 6dB antenna with it mounted on the opposite side of the tool box? And how would this affect reception and transmission versus the small mag mount antenna on the roof?

4 answers to this question

You would lose, not gain signal by moving the antenna down 15 inches to that tool box. If you can't bring yourself to drill a hole for a proper antenna, then get a better mag mount than the stock Midland (which is junk) with a better coaxial cable, (not that ultra-thin 174 junk that Midland uses) and leave it on the roof.  THAT is where you will get best results on UHF.  Even just a better 6" quarter-wave with a good cable and lager, low capacitance mount will beat the Midland quarter wave.

I’m currently running a Midland mxt115 in my truck and am using the stock mag mount antenna which is about 6” long.

I’ve considered moving up to a longer 6dB gain antenna but I don’t want to drill holes in my roof to mount it. I have my CB antenna mounted on the side of my tool box using a right angle bracket. I’ve got my SWR on the CB down to about 1:1.1 with that setup.

Would I gain anything from moving up to the 6dB antenna with it mounted on the opposite side of the tool box? And how would this affect reception and transmission versus the small mag mount antenna on the roof?

As others have stated the best option is to ditch the stock antenna and replace it with a good laird or comparable antenna and mount. The stock antenna has the worst coax I have ever seen on a UHF radio. I personally am a fan of 1/4 wave antennas if you are in an urban area or operate within 25 miles of your local repeaters but only if you can install a thru roof NMO mount. I never had great luck with mag mounts, even when I bought my new GMC it had holes in the roof before it had a 100 miles on it. If GMRS is something you plan to stick with drill the hole!!!

I managed an MSS years ago. I took some local city admin folks on a tour of our new facility we built. When walking through the garage a woman said "Oh dear they are drilling holes in that brand new car" (Crown Vic)....I said "No, Maam, they are installing antennas". 

It's not a hole in the roof if it has something installed in it. 

As above....Drill the hole! 

if you're really against drilling the hole, midland DOES sell a better mag mount (with better cable than what the radio came with); it's a NMO mount, and they currently have a unity gain (6.5") antenna to go with it on clearance for 7.99, or you can do the new 3db gain (3.5" tall, apparently) one for a bit more.

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxta9-unity-gain-antenna/

https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-mxta25-3db-gain-ghost-antenna/

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxta12-antenna-mag-mount/

photo is the unity gain next to a 12 oz nyquil bottle (if it loaded); it's very close in length to the stock one, but fatter at the base. (i also have the 3db version that's the same design, but a little longer)

post-2738-0-96895800-1580879904_thumb.jpg