Midland Micro-mobiles

russwbrill

Question

8 answers to this question

If they fixed those problems and lowered the price to the sub-$100 level, they might be worth looking at. The same basic radio minus overly-restrictive firmware and heavy marketing sells for +/- $100.

Also I just bought a tiny 10 Meter ham radio for $60 including shipping, and it works great. It's probably made in the same factory as that "Midland."

Basically, at the price they sell those radios for, they are a ripoff. To paraphrase Pink Floyd; even if they fixed it, I still don't want it! :D

Still no wideband.  Still no split tones.  I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Just an assumption on my part, but I think the target market for their GMRS products are non-tech people who want an OTC product that works out of the box with no special knowledge or prep.

Still no wideband.  Still no split tones.  I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Just an assumption on my part, but I think the target market for their GMRS products are non-tech people who want an OTC product that works out of the box with no special knowledge or prep.

After seeing this https://midlandusa.com/midland-radio-signs-on-as-official-2020-communication-partner-of-jeep-jamboree-usa/ I have to agree with you Marc....

Russ

I would agree that they are not too worried about making them fully inter-compatible with legacy radios and setups in the wild now. I can see why, but there are some people who are about GMRS (die hard) that would like to try the products on their repeaters to attract more users who don't want to feel like they need a degree in radio to get in. 

I was told by a Midland rep, the wideband, and Split tone issue would be addressed this year in product updates. I'll be the blue boy in the corner now. 

I would agree that they are not too worried about making them fully inter-compatible with legacy radios and setups in the wild now. I can see why, but there are some people who are about GMRS (die hard) that would like to try the products on their repeaters to attract more users who don't want to feel like they need a degree in radio to get in.

I was told by a Midland rep, the wideband, and Split tone issue would be addressed this year in product updates. I'll be the blue boy in the corner now.

Are the existing radios able to do firmware updates?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If they do that, I would buy one in a heartbeat.   EDIT:  Well, after the beta group helps work the bugs out and they release version 2.0.  LOL

Not yet.  Enjoying my MXT-275 in spite of that, though.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBrXb44fBc

Trying for an install like this.  :)

Edit:  Already bought the parts, just holding out for an antenna I like.  The original plan for a fender-mounted Sti-Co covert antenna is on hold pending saving up about $400, and an RF safety evaluation because being in the same plane with 50 watts and a high-gain antenna gives me pause.  Yes, the 275 only does 15 watts, but I'm not willing to limit myself to 15 watts in the long term.  Now I'm looking at a Meso Customs brake light with NMO mount.  Better visibility, AND no new holes in the hullmetal!   :D  Downside is it costs $290.  Upside is that it frees me from spending $317 for the covert antenna, or that I could save that for a CB mount at some point in the future.

Edit:  Hm.  A $290 mount and antenna cost about the same as the $317 Sti-Co antenna, come to think of it.

Not yet.  Enjoying my MXT-275 in spite of that, though.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBrXb44fBc

Trying for an install like this.  :)

Edit:  Already bought the parts, just holding out for an antenna I like.  The original plan for a fender-mounted Sti-Co covert antenna is on hold pending saving up about $400, and an RF safety evaluation because being in the same plane with 50 watts and a high-gain antenna gives me pause.  Yes, the 275 only does 15 watts, but I'm not willing to limit myself to 15 watts in the long term.  Now I'm looking at a Meso Customs brake light with NMO mount.  Better visibility, AND no new holes in the hullmetal!   :D  Downside is it costs $290.  Upside is that it frees me from spending $317 for the covert antenna, or that I could save that for a CB mount at some point in the future.

Edit:  Hm.  A $290 mount and antenna cost about the same as the $317 Sti-Co antenna, come to think of it.

Make sure you get an antenna that doesn't need a ground plane for the best performance. With it mounted so close to the edge of the roof, you'll be missing an effective ground plane to the rear which might cause your radiation pattern to be directional. Height might be an issue but if possible look for something that doesn't need the ground plane. Bonus if you can find a covert or short antenna that can do it.