BTECH V-1 Help

wren421

Question

I may be new to GMRS, I'm not new to radio.  Here's a problem I've not encountered before.    I have the radio set to the proper frequency and proper PL.  I'm within 4-5 miles from the repeater and I here it full quieting.  I hit the mic, throw out my callsign and am told "you're not making it".  I often hear a squelch tail AFTER I'm done keying, a half second of silence then a quick, brief blip from the repeater.  I just don't get it..

Ed, WREN421 / N1YLN

10 answers to this question

I have the same problem with both my HT's, due to elevation and LOS limits.  I am only 3 miles away (LOS) from a repeater and need 40/50 watts to hit it, but in another direction, I can hit a repeater 22 miles away with 5 watts, because nothing is in the way.

Have you done a topo eval?  Some members here have shared some online resources that are pretty cool for a quick review.

Interesting I had the same problem today. Key up, talk, tail end of the repeater blip. I turn on my other GMRS to the same repeater and I don't hear my self, I just hear the repeater tail end. It is just a matter of being a weak signal and out of sight? Supposedly this repeater has a 13 mile radius and I was maybe 8 miles away.

Is the fix to get a better antenna?

It depends on how the repeater is set up. Some have a really sensitive squelch threshold, others require a lot of quieting before the repeater unmutes. Some repeaters also have insensitive receivers, resulting in you hearing the repeater much better than it hears you. Combine a touchy squelch with a deaf receiver and you'll have a repeater that you sound very scratchy into, but you'll always hear the repeater's tail clearly.

Thank you for your ideas.  I do have it set for Wide FM.  I'm going to try a few experiments this week.  I'm going to drive closer to the repeater location.  Try a dual band antenna I use for the 70cm band and possibly get an adapter to try my ham mobile dual band antenna.  I'll keep you posted.

I am awaiting shipment of a BTECH V1 and was thinking I would have access to a repeater to communicate, not just listen. 

You will be able to access repeaters with the V1. 

One word on repeaters. Where I live most of the repeaters are on top of mountains and are easy to access. We have 2 or 3 here in town that are only a few miles away but because their antennas are at rooftop height they are nearly impossible to reach from my house.

You will be able to access repeaters with the V1. 

One word on repeaters. Where I live most of the repeaters are on top of mountains and are easy to access. We have 2 or 3 here in town that are only a few miles away but because their antennas are at rooftop height they are nearly impossible to reach from my house.

I just got a notification from BTECH that my March order will arrive Monday, April 20. Hopefully, the owners manual will show me how to access repeaters.