#1 wren421

wren421

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:wren421
  • Ham Callsign:n1yln

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:12 PM

I may be new to GMRS, I'm not new to radio.  Here's a problem I've not encountered before.    I have the radio set to the proper frequency and proper PL.  I'm within 4-5 miles from the repeater and I here it full quieting.  I hit the mic, throw out my callsign and am told "you're not making it".  I often hear a squelch tail AFTER I'm done keying, a half second of silence then a quick, brief blip from the repeater.  I just don't get it..

Ed, WREN421 / N1YLN

#2 Radioguy7268

Radioguy7268

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern PA

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:38 PM

Are you set for wideband (25kHz) or Narrowband 12.5?  If you're transmitting a narrowband signal into a wideband repeater (which most GMRS machines are) - then you'll sound like a weak signal getting in.

• wren421 likes this

#3 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

I have the same problem with both my HT's, due to elevation and LOS limits.  I am only 3 miles away (LOS) from a repeater and need 40/50 watts to hit it, but in another direction, I can hit a repeater 22 miles away with 5 watts, because nothing is in the way.

Have you done a topo eval?  Some members here have shared some online resources that are pretty cool for a quick review.

• wren421 likes this

#4 rodro123

rodro123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
  • GMRS Callsign:WREN713

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:29 PM

Try this site for a nice topo map https://www.ve2dbe.com/rmonline_s.asp

• wren421 likes this

#5 scottmckinney67

scottmckinney67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFA849

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:59 PM

Here's the one I used.  https://www.scadacor...-line-of-sight/

• wren421 likes this

#6 TonyAldo

TonyAldo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCQ990

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

Interesting I had the same problem today. Key up, talk, tail end of the repeater blip. I turn on my other GMRS to the same repeater and I don't hear my self, I just hear the repeater tail end. It is just a matter of being a weak signal and out of sight? Supposedly this repeater has a 13 mile radius and I was maybe 8 miles away.

Is the fix to get a better antenna?

• wren421 likes this

#7 WRAF213

WRAF213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA, USA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF213
  • Ham Callsign:KJ6PSG

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:34 PM

It depends on how the repeater is set up. Some have a really sensitive squelch threshold, others require a lot of quieting before the repeater unmutes. Some repeaters also have insensitive receivers, resulting in you hearing the repeater much better than it hears you. Combine a touchy squelch with a deaf receiver and you'll have a repeater that you sound very scratchy into, but you'll always hear the repeater's tail clearly.

• wren421 likes this

#8 chuckn

chuckn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFL430

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

I am awaiting shipment of a BTECH V1 and was thinking I would have access to a repeater to communicate, not just listen. 

• wren421 likes this

#9 wren421

wren421

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:wren421
  • Ham Callsign:n1yln

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:14 PM

Thank you for your ideas.  I do have it set for Wide FM.  I'm going to try a few experiments this week.  I'm going to drive closer to the repeater location.  Try a dual band antenna I use for the 70cm band and possibly get an adapter to try my ham mobile dual band antenna.  I'll keep you posted.

#10 wvanbrink

wvanbrink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDY651
  • Ham Callsign:KG5ZVT

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:45 AM

I am awaiting shipment of a BTECH V1 and was thinking I would have access to a repeater to communicate, not just listen. 

You will be able to access repeaters with the V1. 

One word on repeaters. Where I live most of the repeaters are on top of mountains and are easy to access. We have 2 or 3 here in town that are only a few miles away but because their antennas are at rooftop height they are nearly impossible to reach from my house.

#11 chuckn

chuckn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFL430

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:49 AM

You will be able to access repeaters with the V1. 

One word on repeaters. Where I live most of the repeaters are on top of mountains and are easy to access. We have 2 or 3 here in town that are only a few miles away but because their antennas are at rooftop height they are nearly impossible to reach from my house.

I just got a notification from BTECH that my March order will arrive Monday, April 20. Hopefully, the owners manual will show me how to access repeaters. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users