Baofeng UV-5XP

BMMS047

Hello everyone. I am brand new to the GMRS world. I received license a few days ago and just got a pair of Baofeng UV-5XP's. Needless to say I was quite overwhelmed by how sophisticated these radio's are for the price. Manually programming them is quite a bear. I made the mistake of not having a programmable download cable to download the free frequencies from CHIRP. I just ordered one from Amazon to help with programming. Anyway, I am impressed with the 3,000 mAh battery, FM radio, and the myraid of adjustments of this radio. I stumbled across an interesting HAM group discussion on 145.430 with folks chiming in from Grass Valley, Auburn, Cool and I can hear them all loud and clear here in North Highlands (about 40 miles away). Hopefully, I can find a group of like minded GRMS folks in the general Sacramento area as well that I can communicate with. 

Thank you. I have been watching several youtube video's. I am trying to figure out how to utilize local repeaters in my area. I hear everyone talking and when I ask for a radio check to see if anyone can hear me I get no response (TX'ing at 5 watts on this hand held) I assume I have to hit a repeater in order to amplify my transmission's. I set the R-CTCS and T-CTCS to the required feq but don't understand or don't have the correct information to set the SFT-D (negative or positive)? Then there is the off-set too? For a new GMRS user trying to self learn it is a bit confusing. Seems like all the communication in my area is being bounced of Mt. Vaca at 462.700

• 3 months later...

As a newbie, this is the confusing part.  If I am holding my HT and i'm transmitting to a repeater, am I the 462 frequency or the 467.

You need to set the RX frequency to the 462.xxx, and in your programming for that channel, you will need to set the OFFSET to 5,000 KHz, (5 MHz) then set the SHIFT to +.

You should see in your display that the frequency will shift up +5MHz to the 467 frequency when you hit the transmit button, and go back to the 462 on receive.