GMRS use etiquette guides?

Guest BobG

FYI, I just got my GMRS license yesterday. Call sign WRHU703. But even though its after 12EST the next day, its saying that the call sign is not known.

I will try again tomorrow.

I have been looking for a source of etiquette for GMRS use.  So far I find a lot of the same information explaining about what GMRS, FRS, HAM, etc.. is but not finding the practical guides to how to use it well in a shared way.

So far I gather that there must be two ways to use it. One is to tune into a repeater and monitor and occasionally engage in conversations with strangers.  The other is for point to point communications between a group of people involved in an outdoor activity.

I am taking my family out to Moab next month and we will be riding dirt bikes in the desert. Each time we ride, I am thinking that we will monitor channels (that are not listed on this website as repeaters) to find one not being used and then just start using it for our personal communications. Does that sound right?

Should I try to find a club in the area to check in with? 

--BobG

... I am thinking that we will monitor channels ... to find one not being used and then just start using it for our personal communications. Does that sound right?

If you are just talking to your family, then yes.  That is right.  Find a blank spot, and use it.  All channels are shared, no one owns any channel, so feel free to use it as long as you aren't intentionally interfering with anyone else.  If others are using the channel, then you should use tone squelch, or "Private Tone" on all of your radios so that you don't hear others.

Note that Private Codes or tones have absolutely nothing to do with privacy, they simply prevent your radio from hearing any other radios that are not using the same code. Others not running code can still hear you anyway.  Likewise, if you are not running code, and other people are, they won't hear you if you try to talk to them.

Your family also needs to identify your call sign with their identifier at their 1st transmission and at least once every 15 minutes after.

For example: abcd123 unit 1 (2,3, & so on) or abcd123 handheld 1 or

Abcd123 (their name) something of that nature that identifies your licensed call sign and each authorized user of it

Your family also needs to identify your call sign with their identifier at their 1st transmission and at least once every 15 minutes after.

For example: abcd123 unit 1 ...

While the use of an identifier is common, it is not require to meet FCC requirements. Each person operating under the license need only state the license number.

Also, while most people follow the identification timing you noted. The actual regulation says every 15 minutes and at the end of each conversation.

§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided [for repeaters] in this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

• 1 month later...
Guest DouglasLourey

An example conversation would help me understand this rule.  When I read the rules, I understood that I would be required to say my call sign at the end of the conversation and/or at fifteen-minute intervals.  My call sign would not be required at the beginning of a conversation.  And the person I was speaking to, (for example my son-in-law), would not be required to use the call sign because I did; his use would be redundant.

You got it right up to...

...  And the person I was speaking to, (for example my son-in-law), would not be required to use the call sign because I did; his use would be redundant.

Every station needs to identify, both you and your son in this case. Since your sou son-in-law is operating under your license, he can just use the same call sign as you. If you want, you can add identifiers. Like WYZ123-dad and WXYZ123-son. Or, unit1, unit2, car1, etc. but, the identifier is not required and it is OK for all stations to simply use the same whole sign.

Thanks!  Simple stuff, but clarification is always helpful.

Radio Feature Idea! 

A programmable button that broadcasts your personal call sign.  You would program the button with your own call sign and at the press of the special "Call Sign" button, your call sign is broadcast using an electronic voice like NOAA Weather broadcasts.

...Radio Feature Idea!

A programmable button that broadcasts your personal call sign. You would program the button with your own call sign and at the press of the special "Call Sign" button, your call sign is broadcast using an electronic voice like NOAA Weather broadcasts.

Some radios already have that feature, either voice of morse code. However, using such a feature would probably make you pretty unpopular pretty quickly. You will soon develop the habit of giving your ID on a regular basis. Most people start with an ID after initial contact and then more or less every 10 minutes.

"If in doubt, identify!" It is far better to ID more frequently than it is to do so too little. biggrin.png

• 4 months later...

Does the requirement to ID still exist if you are on your owned repeater and it is IDing via Morse Code every 10 minutes?

Yes. The language can be found in 95.1751.

The language for Id’ing uses the word ‘station’. You’re HT, Mobile, and base and repeater are all separate stations. The only exception in the code is for a repeater station (see 95.1751.c) where it describes that repeater does not need to identify if it is only used by persons operating under the authority of the “individual license” under which it operates. This means you and your family members. The moment anyone other than you or your immediate family keys up the repeater, now the repeater is required to ID.

One of the reasons I conclude it is set up this way is that to ensure that an ID (English or Morse Code) is associated with all transmissions, on all frequencies. When using a repeater, two frequencies are in use. One is the frequency your radio uses to transmit to the repeater, the other is the frequency that the repeater transmits on. Your HT is transmitting on one frequency, so that station must ID on the frequency in use. When your repeater is re-transmitting your signal, it retransmits your ID because you gave it during your transmission, so now both stations have ID’d. Everyone listening (regardless of frequency) then knows who is responsible for the transmissions. Now, when you let non family members use your repeater, the repeater now MUST id separately. Now the world will here two IDs. First the ID of the party using your repeater, then your repeater. Why, because each station must identify, and there are two separate license involved.

Hope this clarify’s it for you.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk