How do you like to connect your radio to your DC power supply?

fremont

Question

22 answers to this question

For me power poles when ever I can.

Generally, red 22-16awg wires, blue 16-14and yellow 12-10 awg. I imagine it is going to be 12-10 for most radios which has an eyelet of #10

kidphc, any chance you could be a little more specific?  I'm looking at the Anderson PP site and am not sure which one you're referring to that would work with those round threaded output posts.  Thanks for the help.

Round pieces? The terminals on the power supply? I took some 12 away wire and tinned them and inserted mine in. They had a screw to hold the leads in on my supply. From that wire I put power poles on and connected it to a power pole break out box. Then put power poles on my radio and connected to the breakout box.

The breakout box has fuses for each of the connections.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Alinco power supply I have had screw on terminals on the back, with 2x powerpole connectors on the front. Since the 50x1 is primarily a base, it got banana plugs (4mm, apparently) to plug inside the screw ons, which keeps the front clutter free. I also got a couple of powerpole harnesses, and spliced one together with a 12v receptacle, which covers the mxt115 (which has a 12v plug already) if I decide to b5eing it in. Also covers a myriad of other uses.

Eyelet connectors?  (What is the typical OD measurement of the threaded outlet--for red & black--that an eyelet must fit over?"

If plug or jack, what specs?  2.1mm, etc?

Depending in how you look at it, there is either no standard for power supply connectors or there are several standards. Could you post a picture, or a link?

The type of power supply you use determines what connector you will need. There are screw terminals which you would use "Forks" with to connect a wire, then theres bolt and post styles for battery's, some power supply's use banana clips, and others use power poles. Some even use clips.  Really its all up to how you want to hook things up.

I typically use power poles, building small jumper wires to adapt direct to the power supply. This allows me to work on/switch out radios without having to pull out a screwdriver, but this is all up to preference. Some people do not like power pole connections.

Eyelet connectors?  (What is the typical OD measurement of the threaded outlet--for red & black--that an eyelet must fit over?"

If plug or jack, what specs?  2.1mm, etc?

Thanks for the pictures. However, I am still a little confused. Are you asking a general question about connecting to a power supply or are you asking about help with a specific power supply you own?

Since you asked about eyelet connectors that slip over a threaded rod and are held in place by a nut or some type, then the answer is: you need to measure the outside diameter of the bolt. The bolt size may vary by power supply amperage. Also, there are variations in thread (coarse vs fine) and, of course, Metric vs Imperial.  

As for the connectors, I tend to buy the uninsulated ones and then first crimp, then solder the wire in place. After that, I put a bit of shrink tubing over the crimp ferrule.

Banana plugs are, I believe, all nominally the same size. Which means, they all probably vary a bit. You may have to bend the plugs a bit, or find another brand.

And, finally, if you buy a set of cheap alligator clip jumpers be prepared to solder all the cheap crimp connections. Better, don't buy cheap connectors at all. The savings in minimal and the cost can be excessive.

Thanks for the pictures. However, I am still a little confused. Are you asking a general question about connecting to a power supply or are you asking about help with a specific power supply you own?

The former.  Your following descriptions were what I was looking for; thank you.

I like using Sewell Deadbolt brand banana plugs. https://sewelldirect.com/products/deadbolt-banana-plugs

There is a :40 second installation video on this page. - Yes, they are that easy to install.  They are made for speakers, yet are heavy enough for power supply work as well.

You can get them at a reasonable price on Amazon, and they will work with 10-24 guage wire.  They are a pressure-fit plug, and require no soldering.

Fremont, in the photo you posted above of that Pyramid PS-21KX, those are screw-type binding posts, but you can also plug a banana plug into the front of these type of posts... as shown in wayoverthere's post.

I personally, like many others, use whatever is easy to connect to the supply I am using, and make a short 6 or 8" jumper out to an Anderson Powerpole connector.

I personally, like many others, use whatever is easy to connect to the supply I am using, and make a short 6 or 8" jumper out to an Anderson Powerpole connector.

For you PowerPole fans, do you usually crimp?  If so, any particular crimper that you've found you like?

One hopefully last PowerPole question:  I have the Wouxon 30A DC power supply on order.  (I bought it due to the price point and the fact I'm not entirely sure how high on amps I'll need in the future; currently for a TK-880 which is rated around 10-12A on Tx.)  Given that Wouxon unit, is the smart thing to buy the 30A PowerPoles so I know my configuration (Wouxon + wiring) is good up to 30A?

For you PowerPole fans, do you usually crimp? If so, any particular crimper that you've found you like?

To be honest, I just ordered the harnesses pre-made from DXengineering at the same time I ordered the power supply. Only thing I needed to crimp was the male spades on the 12v socket to mate to the female spades on the other end of the power pole harness.

One hopefully last PowerPole question:  I have the Wouxon 30A DC power supply on order.  (I bought it due to the price point and the fact I'm not entirely sure how high on amps I'll need in the future; currently for a TK-880 which is rated around 10-12A on Tx.)  Given that Wouxon unit, is the smart thing to buy the 30A PowerPoles so I know my configuration (Wouxon + wiring) is good up to 30A?

I do electric RC aircraft so have access to connectors used for them. For my BTECH I used a pair of DEANS connectors between my 30A PS and radio which draws around 13A at transmit. The connectors are soldered to 14 gauge wires. You should be able to pick up the connectors at any hobby shop selling RC toys for around $1 per pair. The Deans are rated for burst surges of 60A for less than 3 seconds which is what an RC plane can draw at times. Power Poles are great connectors but the cost of the recommended crimper makes them a very expensive item for the average user not doing commercial work.

Conversely, my local RC shop, went their for helis will do them for a nominal fee. It also introduces you into another very expensive hobby :)

The peak rating for the power poles is the reason I went for them. My HV heli will generate in the order of 5000 watts [cant remeber exact numbers] of power at peak ( milliseconds) and about 80 amps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Most crimpers for Powerpoles cost around $30. They are all pretty much equal though, I would really avoid the cheap ones.

If you make a mid wire connection, that is four crimps, and your cost has suddenly dropped to $7.50 per crimp. One more similar connection and it’s down to $3.75. And so on. Plus, It is hard to put a price on the value you get from, the convenience of being able to make the connection at home without having to get in the car and drive to the store, which might not even be open when you need it.

This $100 is one of the best investments I have ever made. HIGHLY recommended.  A GREAT starter kit, with everything you need.... and you can order replacement pins and parts as you use them up to refill this kit.  I've owned mine for 3 years now.

https://powerwerx.com/powerpolebag-tricrimp-powerpole-case-gear-bag

This $100 is one of the best investments I have ever made. HIGHLY recommended.  A GREAT starter kit, with everything you need.... and you can order replacement pins and parts as you use them up to refill this kit.  I've owned mine for 3 years now.

https://powerwerx.com/powerpolebag-tricrimp-powerpole-case-gear-bag

Yes, I noticed this.  Good advice.  And, many of the knockoff crimpers on Amazon get some sketchy reviews.  An extra $10 for the Powerwerx version makes sense.

...An extra $10 for the Powerwerx version makes sense.

There is no doubt Powerwerx crimper will work well. But, if all you want too crimp is Powerpoles they are all pretty much ok. The main differences are exchangeability of the crimping dies and whether they ratchet or not.   You definitely want a ratcheting crimper.

OTOH. The kit is nice and if you continue the radio hobby/addiction, you will get full value from your purchase.